Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Applicability. Perimeter vehicular use area landscaping must be provided in accordance with the standards of this section when parking stalls, other than those provided in bus terminals, truck terminals and recreational vehicle storage areas, are located within 100 feet of the right-of-way and when the stalls are part of any of the following:
(1) The construction or installation of any new vehicular use area containing 12 or more parking spaces or more than 4,200 square feet of area;
(2) The expansion of any existing vehicular use area if the expansion would create 12 or more new parking spaces or more than 4,200 square feet of additional paved area, in which case the requirements of this section apply only to the expanded area; and
(3) The excavation and reconstruction of existing vehicular use areas containing 12 or more parking spaces or more than 4,200 square feet of area if such excavation and reconstruction involves more than 50% of the paved surface, in which case the requirements of this section apply only to the portion of the vehicular use area that is excavated and reconstructed.
(1) Perimeter vehicular use area landscaping standards may be satisfied by providing at least one of the following options abutting the vehicular use area:
(a) A landscape strip with a minimum depth of ten feet that includes a hedge, dense shrub planting, masonry wall or combination of such features that results in a continuous visual screen to a height of at least 30 inches above the grade of the vehicular use area along the length of the vehicular use area frontage; or
(b) A landscape strip with a minimum depth of 20 feet that includes at least two trees and five shrubs per 40 feet of vehicular use area frontage. A berm may be substituted for the trees required in this paragraph. Berms must comply with § 155-12.90(M).
(2) The Zoning Administrator is authorized to approve reductions in height for vehicular use area perimeter buffers to improve sight distance at intersections.
(3) Landscape areas and plant material provided to meet the road frontage landscaping requirements of § 155-12.40 count toward satisfying the perimeter vehicular use area landscaping requirements of this section.
(4) Depressed bioretention areas used for landscaping and stormwater management are strongly encouraged.
(C) Materials, design and maintenance. Perimeter vehicular use area landscaping is subject to the regulations of § 155-12.90.
(Ord. effective 10-1-2012; Ord. 18-1, passed 1-18-2018)