Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Meanings and intent. The language of the zoning ordinance must be read literally. Regulations are no more or less strict than stated. Words and terms expressly defined in this zoning ordinance (see, for example, Article 155-8 and § 155-18.20) have the specific meanings assigned, unless the context expressly indicates another meaning. Words that are not expressly defined in this ordinance have their common dictionary meaning.
(B) Computation of time.
(1) References to "days" are to calendar days unless otherwise expressly stated. References to "business days" are references to regular county government working days, excluding Saturdays, Sundays and holidays observed by county government.
(2) The time in which an act is to be completed is computed by excluding the first day and including the last day. If the last day is a Saturday, Sunday, or holiday observed by county government, that day is excluded.
(3) A day concludes at the close of business, and any materials received after that time will be considered to have been received the following day.
(C) Tenses and usage.
(1) Words used in the singular include the plural. The reverse is also true.
(2) Words used in the present tense include the future tense. The reverse is also true.
(3) The words "must," "will," "shall" and "may not" are mandatory.
(4) The word "may" is permissive, and "should" is advisory, not mandatory or required.
(5) When used with numbers, "up to x," "not more than x" and "a maximum of x" all include "x."
(D) Conjunctions. Unless the context otherwise clearly indicates, conjunctions have the following meanings:
(1) "And" indicates that all connected items or provisions apply; and
(2) "Or" indicates that the connected items or provisions may apply singularly or in combination.
(E) Headings and illustrations. Headings and illustrations are provided for convenience and reference only and do not define or limit the scope of any provision of this zoning ordinance. In case of any difference of meaning or implication between the text of this zoning ordinance and any heading, drawing, table, figure, or illustration, the text controls.
(F) Current versions and citations. All references to other county, state, or federal regulations in the zoning ordinance refer to the most current version and citation for those regulations, unless expressly indicated otherwise. When the referenced regulations have been repealed and not replaced by other regulations, zoning ordinance requirements for compliance are no longer in effect.
(G) Lists and examples. Unless otherwise expressly indicated, lists of items or examples that use "including," "such as," or similar terms are intended to provide examples only. They are not to be construed as exhaustive lists of all possibilities.
(H) Delegation of authority. Whenever a provision appears requiring the head of a department or another officer or employee of the county to perform an act or duty, that provision will be construed as authorizing the department head or officer to delegate that responsibility to others over whom they have authority. Delegation of authority is not allowed when the provisions of this zoning ordinance expressly prohibit such a delegation.
(I) Public officials and agencies. All employees, public officials, bodies and agencies to which references are made are those of the Will County unless otherwise expressly stated.
(Ord. effective 10-1-2012; Ord. 18-1, passed 1-18-2018)