Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) It is unlawful for a person less than 17 years of age to be present at or upon any public assembly, building, business, street, highway, or other public place or way at the following times.
(1) For persons less than 16 years of age, between 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. the following day on any day of the week.
(2) For persons at least 16 years of age, but not yet 17 years of age, between 11:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. the following day on any day of the week.
(B) It is a defense to a violation under this chapter that the child engaged in the prohibited conduct while:
(1) Accompanied by the child's parent, legal guardian, custodian, sibling, stepbrother or stepsister at least 18 years of age.
(2) On the sidewalk abutting the minor's residence or abutting the residence of a next-door neighbor if the neighbor did not complain to the police department about the minor's presence.
(3) Accompanied by an adult at least 21 years of age approved by the child's parent, guardian, or custodian.
(4) Participating in, going directly to, or returning directly from:
(a) Employment which the laws of this state authorize a person less than 17 years of age to perform;
(b) A school recreational activity;
(c) A religious event;
(d) An emergency involving the protection of a person or property from an imminent threat of serious bodily injury or substantial damage;
(e) An activity involving the exercise of the child's rights protected under the First Amendment to the United States Constitution or Article 1, Sections 3, 4, and 5 of the Constitution of the State of Illinois, or both;
(f) An activity conducted by a non-profit or governmental entity that provides recreation, education, training, or other care under the supervision of one or more adult.
(C) A citation for violation of division (A) may be issued by a police officer only if he or she reasonably believes that a violation has occurred and none of the defenses enumerated in division (B) apply.
(1980 Code, § 130.01) (Res. 95-60, adopted 3-16-1995; Ord. 11-287, passed 8-18-2011) Penalty, see § 130.99