Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Nuisances Relating To Premises:
1. Offensive Matter: It is a public nuisance for any owner, lessee, occupant or resident of any premises to suffer or cause to be maintained on such premises, for twenty four (24) hours or longer, any unwholesome, delaying or putrid animal or vegetable matter which contaminates the atmosphere or endangers or injures the health of any person, or which is indecent or offensive to the senses, or interferes with the comfort or enjoyment of any resident in the city.
2. Offensive Liquids: It is unlawful for any person to cause or permit any nauseous, foul or putrid liquid or other liquid substance to be discharged, placed or thrown, or to flow from or out of any premises into or upon any adjacent premises, or any public street, alley, road or sidewalk, or into any channel or watercourse.
3. Cellars Or Drains In Offensive Condition: Whoever suffers or causes any cellar, vault, drain, pool, privy or sewer belonging to or controlled by him to become, from any cause, nauseous, foul, offensive or injurious to the public health, or unpleasant and disagreeable to adjacent residents or persons, within the city limits, shall be deemed guilty of committing a public nuisance.
4. Accumulation Of Rubbish: It is unlawful for any owner, agent, tenant, lessee or occupant of any building within the limits of the city to permit rubbish, wastepaper, straw, hay, rags, excelsior or other waste matter to accumulate in hallways, areaways, basements, roofs, closets, light wells, storerooms or in yards close to the buildings. It shall be the duty of the fire marshal to notify in writing the owner, agent, tenant, lessee or occupant of the building or buildings in or near which such accumulations are found to remove and properly dispose of the same forthwith. Any person receiving such notice shall comply with the requirements hereof within twenty four (24) hours of receipt of such notice.
5. Fire Hazards: It is unlawful and is declared to be a nuisance for any person to maintain, cause or suffer to exist in or upon any premises in the city owned, leased, occupied or controlled either as principal or agent, by such person, any condition which constitutes a fire hazard and/or a menace to life and property.
B. Animal Enclosures: It is a public nuisance for any person to keep or maintain any pen or enclosure, stable or building for animals in such a filthy or unwholesome condition as to be offensive to neighbors or passersby, or injurious to the health of the neighborhood.
C. Obstruction Or Excavation In Public Ways: It is unlawful for any person to place or cause to be placed any obstruction to the free passage through any street, alley, crossing or sidewalk of the city, or excavate in or under the same without lawful permission.
D. Expectorating: It is unlawful for any person to spit or expectorate, vomit, urinate, defecate, place or deposit, or cause to be placed or deposited, any foul, stinking or objectionable material upon any sidewalk or crossing, or upon the floor of any public hall, theater or church, or upon the floor of any store, or upon the floor or walk intended for the use of the public. (Ord. A-205, 2-20-1973; amd. 2003 Code)