(A)   Removal of vegetation. The removal of natural vegetation shall be restricted to prevent erosion into protected waters, to consume nutrients in the soil, and to preserve shoreland aesthetics. Removal of natural vegetation in the Shoreland Overlay District shall be subject to the following provisions.
      (1)   Selective removal of natural vegetation is allowed, provided that sufficient vegetative cover remains to screen cars, dwellings and other structures when viewed from the water.
      (2)   Clear cutting of natural vegetation is prohibited.
      (3)   Natural vegetation shall be restored insofar as feasible after any construction project is completed to retard surface runoff and soil erosion.
      (4)   The provisions of this section shall not apply to permitted uses which normally require the removal of natural vegetation.
   (B)   Grading and filling. Grading and filling in shoreland areas or any alteration of the natural topography where the slope of the land is toward a protected water or a watercourse leading to a protected water must be authorized by a permit. The permit may be granted subject to the conditions that:
      (1)   The smallest amount of bare ground is exposed for as short a time as feasible.
      (2)   Temporary ground cover, such as mulch, is used and permanent ground cover, such as sod, is established.
      (3)   Methods to prevent erosion and tap sediment are employed.
      (4)   Fill is stabilized to accepted engineering standards.
   (C)   Excavations. Excavations on shorelands where the intended purpose is a connection to a protected water shall require a permit from the Zoning Administrator before construction is begun. The permit may be obtained only after the Commissioner of Natural Resources has issued a permit to work in the beds of protected waters.
   (D)   Protected water alteration. Any work which will change or diminish the course, current or cross-section of a protected water or wetland shall be approved by the Commissioner of Natural Resources, and the approval shall be construed to mean the issuance by the Commissioner of Natural Resources of a permit under the procedures of Minn. Stat. § 103F.201, as it may be amended from time to time, and other related statutes.
(Ord. passed 10-11-1963)