Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) No accessory buildings or structures shall be constructed on any lot prior to the time of construction of the principal building to which it is accessory.
(B) No accessory buildings or structures shall exceed the height of the principal building, and in no case, shall the accessory buildings exceed 15 feet in height in the R Districts.
(C) No accessory buildings or structures for uses such as plant growing, storage or play, other than a garage attached or unattached to the principal building, shall be located within any yard other than the rear yard. No detached garage shall be located nearer the front lot line than the principal building on the lot. Gazebos may be located in a side yard provided setbacks and other zoning requirements are met.
(D) Accessory buildings or structures shall be located not less than five feet from a side or rear property line in R-1A, R-1B, R-2, R-3 and B-5 Districts, ten feet from a side or rear property line in R-1C Districts, and four feet from a side or rear property line in R-4 Districts.
(E) (1) Exterior materials and finish of accessory buildings must match or complement the exterior finish of the principal structure in material, color and texture. Exterior walls of accessory structures must be covered only with siding (e.g., wood, vinyl, aluminum or metal horizontal lap), stucco, brick, glass or other comparable material as approved by the Zoning Administrator. Prohibited materials include, but are not limited to, cloth, fabric, canvas, plastic sheets, tarps, tarpaper and insulation. The placement or use of framing for hoop houses or other hoop designed apparatus, tent garages and other similar apparatus is also prohibited.
(2) Exceptions. The following are excluded from the requirements of division (E)(1) above:
(a) Accessory structures less than 120 square feet made of sheet metal, corrugated metal or shaped metal;
(b) Commercial greenhouses; and
(F) All accessory buildings or structures in R-1 and R-2 and B-5 Districts shall additionally conform to the following requirements.
(1) There shall be no more than one detached garage on a lot.
(2) In addition to one detached garage, there shall be no more than one accessory building or structure on a lot. Exception: schools located in an R-1 or R-2 district shall be allowed up to four accessory buildings or structures without a conditional use permit, provided that there is no more than one detached garage and all accessory buildings or structures comply with the remaining requirements of this section. Schools shall obtain a conditional use permit for more than four accessory buildings or structures.
(3) No detached garage may exceed 624 square feet in area, except on lots of 75 feet width or greater, in which case the maximum size of a detached garage may not exceed 800 square feet in area. Other accessory buildings may not exceed 200 square feet in area, except as follows.
(a) The maximum size of either the detached garage or an accessory building, but not both, may be increased by ten square feet of building area for every 2,000 square feet of lot area in excess of the required minimum lot area; provided, however, that no detached garage shall exceed 1,000 square feet in area and no accessory building shall exceed 250 square feet in area. For each 20 square feet increase in the allowable building size, the required side and rear yard setbacks shall be increased one foot.
(b) For properties that exceed four acres in size, the maximum size of one accessory structure for uses other than single-family and two-family uses in the R-1 District may exceed the maximum size requirement as listed above through a conditional use permit. Said structure must be an open air structure (cannot be enclosed), may not exceed 2,500 square feet in size, and must be setback a minimum of 50 feet from the nearest residential property line.
(4) All accessory buildings or structures shall be securely affixed to the ground in a manner that will resist movement from storms or vandalism.
(Ord. 09-02, passed - -; Ord. 09-04, passed - -; Ord. 09-19, passed - -; Ord. passed 10-11-1963; Ord. 14-04, passed 8-11-2014; Ord. 17-11, passed 12-11-2017; Ord. 18-05, passed 2-26-2018)