Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Words used in this subchapter shall have the following meanings unless otherwise defined in this subchapter.
ALTERNATIVE INSPECTION REPORT. A rental dwelling inspection report that the applicant obtains from a building inspector for the purposes of receiving United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (“HUD”) rental approval.
APARTMENT. A community, complex or building having a common owner and containing at least one rental dwelling unit.
CITY INSPECTOR’S REPORT or INSPECTION REPORT. A rental dwelling inspection report prepared and signed by a city inspector.
CITY MANAGER. The West St. Paul City Manager or his or her designee.
COMPLEX. The total number of buildings on the license application or contiguous rental properties under the same ownership.
DWELLING. A building or one or more portions of a building occupied or intended to be occupied for residential purposes.
(1) An individual or two or more persons legally related by blood, marriage, domestic partnership, foster care, guardianship or adoption; or
(2) A group of not more than three persons not related by blood, marriage, domestic partnership, foster care, guardianship or adoption living together in a dwelling unit.
HIGH SCHOOL DORMITORY. A dormitory that is located on the site of a secondary education institution and is owned, operated and used by the institution for living and sleeping quarters for the students attending the institution.
LET FOR OCCUPANCY or to LET or to RENT. To permit possession or occupancy of a dwelling or rental dwelling unit whether or not compensation is paid by a person who is not the legal owner of record thereof, pursuant to a written or unwritten lease.
OCCUPANT. Any person living or sleeping in a dwelling unit, or having possession of a space within a dwelling unit.
OPERATOR or MANAGER. Any person who has charge, care or control of a structure or premises that is let or offered for occupancy.
OWNER or LICENSEE. Any person, agent, operator, firm or corporation having a legal or equitable interest in the property or recorded in the official state, county or city records as holding title to the property or otherwise having control of the property.
PERSON. May be an individual, corporation, firm, association, company, partnership, organization or any other group acting as a unit.
REINSPECTION. A follow-up inspection that is:
(1) Conducted to determine if a code violation has been corrected;
(2) Necessary because a licensee, owner or other responsible party fails to attend a scheduled inspection;
(3) Necessary because a scheduled inspection does not occur or is prevented from occurring due to an act of a property owner or agent; or
(4) Any inspection following an initial inspection.
RENTAL DWELLING. Any dwelling used for residential occupancy by one or more persons who are not the owner or a member of the owner’s family.
RENTAL DWELLING UNIT. Any room or rooms, or space, in any rental dwelling designed or used for residential occupancy by one or more persons who are not the owner or a member of the owner’s family.
(2001 Code, § 435.03) (Ord. 06-16, passed - -; Ord. 07-04, passed - -; Ord. 08-25, passed - -; Ord. 15-09, passed 9-14-2015; Ord. 21-002, passed 1-25-2021)