Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Establishment. There is hereby created the position of Zoning Inspector. The Zoning Inspector shall be appointed by the Mayor after approval by the Village Council. The Zoning Inspector shall act as the Administrative Officer for the purpose of effecting the proper administration of the Zoning Ordinance.
(b) Powers and Duties. For the purpose of this Zoning Ordinance, the Zoning Inspector shall have the following powers and duties:
(1) Enforce the provisions of this Zoning Ordinance and interpret the meaning and application of its provisions.
(2) Issue zoning permits and conditional zoning certificates as provided by this Zoning Ordinance and keep a record of same with a notation of any special conditions involved.
(3) Accept and review for completeness all applications upon which the Zoning Inspector is authorized to review by the provisions of this Zoning Ordinance. The Zoning Inspector shall promptly review each application submitted to determine compliance with applicable district regulations and submission requirements. If the application is deemed insufficient, the Zoning Inspector shall promptly notify the applicant of necessary changes. If the application is deemed sufficient and the application fee has been paid, the Zoning Inspector shall officially accept the application on that date for consideration of the action(s) requested.
(4) Respond to questions concerning applications for amendments to the Zoning Ordinance and the Zoning Districts Map.
(5) Maintain in current status the Zoning Districts Map which shall be kept on permanent display in the Village Office.
(6) Maintain permanent and current records required by this Zoning Ordinance, including but not limited to zoning approval, inspection documents, and records of all variances, amendments, and conditional uses.
(7) Make such records available for the use of Village Council, the Planning Commission, the Board of Zoning Appeals, and the public.
(8) Conduct inspections of buildings and uses of land to determine compliance with this Zoning Ordinance and, in the case of any violation, to stop work and to notify in writing, the person(s) responsible, specifying the nature of the violation and ordering corrective action.
(9) Determine the existence of any violations of this Zoning Ordinance and issue such notifications, stop work orders and citations for violations as outlined in this Zoning Ordinance. Advise the Law Director of all such actions.
(10) For the purpose of enforcing this Zoning Ordinance, the Zoning Inspector shall have the powers of a police officer.
(11) Issue written notifications of violations and specify a reasonable time period, generally not exceeding 30 days, for abating the condition or use which is in violation of this Zoning Ordinance. A citation shall be issued where the violation is not corrected within the specified period of time and shall be prosecuted.
(Ord. 2013-01. Passed 2-5-13; Ord. 2019-04. Passed 4-2-19.)