Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Definitions. As used in this section:
(1) "Adult" means a person seventeen years of age or older.
(2) "Alcoholic beverage" means any beverage containing one-half of one percent or more of alcohol by volume. The percentage of alcohol by volume shall be determined according to M.C.L.A. 436.2, as the same may be amended from time to time.
(3) "Control" means any form of regulator or dominion, including a possessory right.
(4) "Illegal drug" means a controlled substance as defined now or hereafter by State law and obtained without a legal prescription. Currently, such controlled substances are defined by M.C.L.A. 333.7101 to 333.7545, as amended.
(5) "Minor" means a person not legally permitted, by reason of age, to possess alcoholic beverages according to M.C.L.A. 436.33b, as the same may be amended from time to time.
(6) "Open party" means a social gathering of persons at a residence or premises, other than the owner, lessor, renter and their immediate family members.
(7) "Residence" and "premises" mean a motel room, hotel room, home, apartment, condominium or other dwelling unit, curtilage of a dwelling unit, automobile, limousine, motor home, camper, meeting room, hall or other place of assembly, whether occupied on a temporary or permanent basis, whether occupied as a dwelling or specifically for social functions, and whether owned, leased, rented or used with or without compensation.
(b) Prohibited Activity. An adult having control of any residence or premises shall not allow an open party at such residence or premises if any alcoholic beverage or illegal drug is possessed or consumed there by any minor. An adult shall be guilty of a violation of this section if such adult knew or reasonably should have known of such possession or consumption and if the adult failed to take reasonable steps to prevent the possession or consumption.
(c) Exemptions. This section shall not apply to legally permitted religious observances or educational activities.
(Ord. 1993-21. Passed 12-21-93.)