Skip to code content (skip section selection)
B. Under the direction of the Mayor, the Director of Public Service shall have charge of and exercise supervision for the City over:
(1) All public works and improvements and the construction, maintenance, operation and repair thereof and all engineering and inspection in connection therewith;
(2) The construction, improvement, repair, operation and maintenance of streets, sidewalks, public ways, bridges, and flood control measures;
(3) The construction, improvement, repair, operation and maintenance of water mains, pumps, pipes, purification and filtration plants, and water supply and distribution system;
(4) The construction, improvement, repair, operation and maintenance of sewers, drains, ditches, culverts, streams, water courses, and sewers and sewage systems;
(5) Unless otherwise provided for by the Council the care, repair, operation and maintenance of all public buildings, parks, playgrounds, recreation programs and other public places and utilities belonging to the City or in its custody or under its control and the construction of buildings or improvements thereon;
(6) The making and preservation of all surveys, maps, plans, drawings and estimates for public works and improvements;
(7) The cleaning, resurfacing, sprinkling and lighting of streets and public places;
(8) All machinery, equipment and materials of the City pertaining to the functions of the Department of Public Service.
C. Under the direction of the Mayor, the Director of Public Service shall manage and control the collection, treatment and disposal of sewage, the water supply and distribution system, and all public utilities owned or operated by the City and shall enforce all the obligations of privately owned or operated utilities enforceable by the City.
D. The Director of Public Service shall perform such other duties consistent with his office as may be required by this Charter, by ordinance of the Council or by the Mayor.