Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Each ordinance or resolution providing for the appropriation of money, or for any annua1 tax levy, or for the authorization or making of improvements petitioned for by the owners of not less than a majority of the front footage of property to be benefitted and specially assessed therefor, and any emergency ordinance or resolution declared by the Council to be necessary for the immediate preservation of the public peace, health or safety shall take effect, unless a later date be specified therein;
(1) Upon its approval by the Mayor, or
(2) Upon the expiration of the time within which it may be disapproved by the Mayor, or
(3) Upon the passage thereof, after disapproval by the Mayor, as the case may be.
B. No other ordinance or resolution shall become effective until thirty (30) days after:
(1) Its approval by the Mayor, or,
(2) The expiration of the time within which it may be disapproved by the Mayor, or
(3) Its passage after disapproval by the Mayor, as the case may be.
Each emergency measure shall contain a statement of the necessity for such emergency action and shall require the affirmative vote of at least five (5) members of Council for its enactment. No action of the Council authorizing any change in the boundaries of the City, or authorizing the surrender or joint exercise of its powers or granting, renewing or extending any franchise, or contracting for the supply to the City or its inhabitants of the product or service of any utility shall be taken as an emergency measure.