Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Floor Area Ratio. For the purpose of determining floor area ratio "gross floor area" of a building means the sum of the gross horizontal areas of the several floors of a building measured from the exterior faces of exterior walls or from the center line of party walls separating two buildings. In particular, "gross floor area" shall include:
(1) Basement space if at least one-half of the basement story height is above the established curb or ground level;
(2) Elevator shafts and stairwells at each floor;
(3) Floor space used for mechanical equipment where the structural headroom exceeds seven and one-half feet, except equipment, open or enclosed, located on the roof, i.e., bulkheads, water tanks and cooling towers;
(4) Attic floor space where the structural headroom exceeds seven and one- half feet;
(5) Interior balconies and mezzanines;
(6) Enclosed porches, but not terraces and breezeways;
(7) Accessory buildings.
(b) Off-Street Parking and Loading. For the purpose of determining requirements for off-street parking and off-street loading "gross floor area" means the sum of the gross horizontal areas of the several floors of the building or portion thereof, devoted to off-street parking and loading use, including accessory storage areas located within selling or working space, such as counters, racks or closets, and any basement floor area devoted to retailing activities, to the production or processing of goods, or to business or professional offices. However, floor area for purposes of measurement for off-street parking spaces shall not include: floor area devoted primarily to storage purposes, except as otherwise noted herein; floor area devoted to off-street parking or loading facilities, including aisles, ramps and maneuvering space, or basement floor area other than area devoted to retailing activities, to the production or processing of goods, or to business or professional offices.
(Ord. 10-16-67. Passed 11-20-67.)