Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Council hereby declares, as matter of public policy, that the preservation, restoration, rehabilitation and overall aesthetic improvement of our community are matters of public necessity involving the health, safety, prosperity and welfare of the people.
(b) The purpose of this chapter is to:
(1) Maintain and enhance the distinctive character of historic properties and landmarks in the City by safeguarding the architectural integrity of the various period structures within certain districts and to prevent intrusions and alterations within this district that would be incompatible with this established character;
(2) Stabilize and improve property values; foster civic pride in the beauty and notable accomplishments of the past;
(3) To protect and enhance the attractiveness of the City as it relates to residents, tourists and visitors, serving as a support and stimulant to business, and thereby strengthening the economy of the community for its residents;
(4) To facilitate the reinvestment in and the revitalization of certain older districts and neighborhoods;
(5) Provide for a means of design review for other aspects of community development within and around these certain districts that will be of any assistance in achieving a more pleasant environment for the residents and visitors of the City;
(6) Adopt and enforce design guidelines for certain districts.
(Ord. 2013-4. Passed 8-19-13.)