Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Prohibition of illicit discharges.
(1) No person shall discharge or cause to be discharged into the municipal storm drain system or watercourses any materials, including but not limited to pollutants or waters containing any pollutants that cause or contribute to a violation of applicable water quality standards, other than stormwater.
(2) The commencement, conduct or continuance of any illicit discharge to the storm drain system is prohibited. Discharges or flow resulting from fire fighting activities are exempt. The following discharges are also exempt provided they are not significant sources of pollution:
(a) Water line flushing or other potable water sources, landscape irrigation or lawn watering, diverted stream flows, rising ground water, ground water infiltration to storm drains, uncontaminated pumped ground water, foundation or footing drains (not including active groundwater dewatering systems), crawl space pumps, air conditioning condensation, springs, noncommercial washing of vehicles, natural riparian habitat or wetland flows, swimming pools (provided the water is left untreated for 1 week prior to draining), and any other water source not containing pollutants.
(b) Discharges specified in writing by the authorized enforcement agency as being necessary to protect public health and safety or the environment.
(c) Dye testing is an allowable discharge, but requires a verbal notification to the authorized enforcement agency prior to the time of the test.
(d) Street sweeping activities that use water spray to suppress dust.
(e) The prohibition shall not apply to any non-stormwater discharge permitted under an NPDES permit, waiver, or waste discharge order issued to the discharger and administered under the authority of the Federal Environmental Protection Agency or the Department of Environmental Protection, provided that the discharge is in full compliance with all requirements of the permit, waiver, or order and other applicable laws and regulations, and provided that written approval has been granted for any discharge to the storm drain system.
(B) Prohibition of illicit connections.
(1) The construction, use, maintenance or continued existence of illicit connections to the storm drain system is prohibited.
(2) This prohibition expressly includes, without limitation, illicit connections made in the past, regardless of whether the connection was permissible under law or practices applicable or prevailing at the time of connection.
(3) A person is considered to be in violation of this chapter if the person connects a line conveying sewage to the storm drainage system, or allows such a connection to continue.
(Ord. O-2011-23, passed 5-11-2011) Penalty, see § 97.99