Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Employment: The Village of Waterman may employ part time police officers from time to time as they deem necessary.
B. Duties: A part time police officer shall have all the responsibilities of a full time police officer and such specific duties as delineated in the general orders of the Waterman Police Department, but the number of hours a part time officer may work within a calendar year is restricted. Part time police officers shall not be assigned to supervise or direct full time police officers. Part time police officers shall be trained in accordance with the Illinois Police Training Act 1 and the rules and requirements of the ILETSB.
C. Hiring Standards: Any person employed as a part time police officer must meet the following standards:
1. Be of good moral character, of temperate habits, of sound health, and physically and mentally able to perform assigned duties.
2. Be at least twenty one (21) years of age.
3. Pass a medical examination.
4. Possess a high school diploma or GED certificate.
5. Possess a valid State of Illinois driver's license.
6. Possess no prior felony convictions.
7. Any individual who has served in the U.S. military must have been honorably discharged.
D. Discipline: Part time officers shall be under the disciplinary jurisdiction of the Chief of Police. Part time police officers serve at the discretion of the Village authorities, shall not have any property rights in said employment, and may be removed by the Village authorities at any time. Part time police officers shall comply with all applicable rules and general orders issued by the Police Department. (Ord. 2012-15, 6-12-2012)
1. 50 ILCS 705/1 et seq.