Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Statutory Authority: The statutory authority for enacting this section is Utah Code Annotated sections 17-53-223 and 72-7-408, as amended.
B. Purpose Of Provisions: The purpose of this section is to protect highway foundation, surfaces and structures on Kolob Mountain Road from damage and deterioration caused by climatic conditions by restricting the use of certain vehicles during certain times of the year.
C. Definitions: As used in this section:
CEMENT TRUCK: Any concrete or cement mixer truck.
DUMP TRUCK: Any dump truck, whether single axle, ten (10) wheeler or otherwise.
FARM TRACTOR: Every motor vehicle designed and used primarily as a farm implement for drawing plows, mowing machines and other implements of husbandry.
FARM TRUCK: A truck used by the owner or operator of a farm solely for his or her own use in the transportation of:
1. Farm products, including livestock and its products, poultry and its products, floricultural and horticultural products;
2. Farm supplies, including tile, fence and every other thing or commodity used in agricultural, floricultural, horticultural, livestock and poultry production;
3. Livestock, poultry and other animals and things used for breeding, feeding or other purposes connected with the operation of a farm.
FUEL TRUCK: A truck used to deliver propane, gasoline, fuel oil, coal or other fuel to residences and businesses located on Kolob Mountain.
SEMITRAILER: Every vehicle without motive power designed for carrying persons or property and for being drawn by a motor vehicle and constructed so that some part of its weight and its load rests or is carried by another vehicle.
TRAILER: A vehicle without motive power designed for carrying persons or property and for being drawn by a motor vehicle and constructed so that no part of its weight rests upon the towing vehicle.
TRUCK TRACTOR: A motor vehicle designed and used primarily for drawing other vehicles and not constructed to carry a load other than a part of the weight of the vehicle and load that is drawn.
D. Prohibition Of Certain Truck Traffic On Kolob Mountain Road: Dump trucks, cement trucks and truck tractors carrying or towing either trailers or semitrailers are prohibited on Kolob Mountain Road from April 2 to June 30 of each year, except for farm trucks, farm tractors, fuel trucks and vehicles with permits.
E. Signs To Be Posted: The Road Department shall erect signs that cite this section and quote subsection D of this section at each end of each portion of Kolob Mountain Road affected by this section.
F. Permit Application: The County Public Works Department may, upon receipt of an application and good cause shown, issue a truck tractor/trailer permit. The County Public Works Department may deny or issue a permit under this section to protect the highway foundation, surfaces and structures on Kolob Mountain Road from undue damage by one (1) or more of the following:
1. Limiting the number of trips the vehicle may make;
2. Establishing time limits within which the vehicle may operate or move on Kolob Mountain Road;
3. Requiring security in addition to the permit to compensate for any potential damage by the vehicle to the highway; and
4. Otherwise limiting the conditions of operation or movement of the vehicle.
G. Penalty: Any person who violates any restriction imposed by this section is guilty of a Class B misdemeanor and, upon conviction, subject to penalty as provided in section 1-4-1 of this Code, and may be ordered to pay restitution for any road damage caused by violating this section. (Ord. 2017-1084-O, 4-18-2017)