Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Violations Authorizing Impoundment: A motor vehicle, operated with the permission, express or implied, of the owner of record, that is used in connection with the following violations, shall be subject to tow and impoundment by the city, and the owner of record of said vehicle shall be liable to the city for an administrative fee in addition to any towing and storage fees, as hereinafter provided:
1. Operation or use of a motor vehicle in the commission or attempted commission of any offense for which a motor vehicle may be seized and forfeited pursuant to 720 Illinois Compiled Statutes 5/36-1 et seq.
2. Driving under the influence of alcohol, other drug or drugs, intoxicating compounds, in violation of 625 Illinois Compiled Statutes 5/11-501.
3. Operation or use of a motor vehicle in connection with the commission or attempted commission of any felony offense in violation of the provisions of the Illinois cannabis control act, 720 Illinois Compiled Statutes 550/1.
4. Operation or use of a motor vehicle in connection with the commission or attempted commission of any offense in violation of the Illinois controlled substances act, 720 Illinois Compiled Statutes 570/100.
5. Unlawful use of a weapon in violation of 720 Illinois Compiled Statutes 5/24-1; aggravated discharge of a firearm in violation of 720 Illinois Compiled Statutes 5/24-1.2; and unlawful possession of a firearm and firearm ammunition, in violation of 720 Illinois Compiled Statutes 5/24-3.1.
6. Driving while license, permit or privilege to operate a motor vehicle is revoked or suspended, as provided in 625 Illinois Compiled Statutes 5/6-303.
7. Operating or using the motor vehicle by a person against whom a warrant has been issued by a circuit clerk in Illinois for failing to answer charges that the driver violated the offenses of driving while license is revoked or suspended 1 , operating the motor vehicle without a valid driver's license 2 , and/or driving under the influence of alcohol, other drugs, intoxicating compound(s) or any combination thereof 3 .
8. Operation or use of a motor vehicle without a valid license or permit, in violation of 625 Illinois Compiled Statutes 5/6-101.
9. Fleeing or attempting to elude a police officer, in violation of 625 Illinois Compiled Statutes 5/11-204 and 204.1.
10. Illegally transporting open alcoholic beverages, in violation of 625 Illinois Compiled Statutes 5/11-502.
B. General Regulations:
1. This chapter shall not replace or otherwise abrogate any existing laws pertaining to vehicle seizure, towing and impoundment, and the owner shall be subject to these penalties in addition to any penalties that may be assessed by a court for any criminal charges.
2. This chapter shall not apply if the vehicle used in the violation was stolen at the time and the theft was reported to the appropriate police authorities within twenty four (24) hours after the theft was discovered.
3. Fees for towing and storage of a vehicle under this chapter shall be those approved by the chief of police for all tow companies authorized to tow for the police department. (Ord. 2898, 12-1-2014)
1. 625 ILCS 5/6-303.
2. 625 ILCS 5/6-101.
3. 625 ILCS 5/11-501.