(A)   Consumers may experience a large swing in water usage as documented by water meter readings. This increase in consumption may be due to a number of reasons, but if the consumer believes there is an error, it must be reported to the village staff within ten days of bill close-out. This allows the village staff time to research the issue and provide consumers with analysis and suggestions prior to the billing due date.
   (B)   In the event a consumer feels the current water meeting reading is incorrect, the following procedure will be employed:
      (1)   The consumer may be asked to prove that water sources and/or well permits are in compliance with existing ordinances.
      (2)   In the event of a validated water leak, the consumer may apply in writing for a reduction of a portion of the invoiced amount. The village staff will research historical data to determine average usage which will be the baseline for calculating a possible reduction. Each case will be reviewed based on the circumstances.
      (3)   A reduction request requires written documentation describing the problem along with proof that a repair or correction has been completed. Proof is an itemized bill from a professional service listing the completed repairs. Should the repair or correction be completed by the resident, additional certification may be required on a case-by-case basis.
      (4)   Upon receipt of a request for a reduction, the Water & Sewer Commissioner will review the request and render a decision. In the event the decision is not acceptable to the consumer, a formal request may be made to the Village Council at a regular Council meeting.
      (5)   A request to test a meter for inaccurate readings does not absolve the requirement to pay what is due. In the event the meter is found to be in proper working condition and the bill is paid after the due date, the consumer may be responsible for the late fee. If credits are justified and documented, they will be applied to the account.
(Ord., passed 1-27-21)