Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) (1) The Plan Commission shall hold a public hearing and after hearing both the proponents and opponents, consider the proposal to determine the need, merit and justification of the proposed amendment.
(2) The amendment will also be reviewed as to its relationship to the overall planning program, this chapter and the Comprehensive Plan.
(3) A majority vote of the entire membership is required for official action.
(B) (1) The Plan Commission shall then submit its report and recommendation to the Town Council.
(2) Such recommendation is advisory only, and shall not be binding on the Town Council.
(C) After receiving the Plan Commission recommendation, the Town Council shall schedule a public hearing on the proposed ordinance.
(1) In the case of a favorable recommendation from the Plan Commission, a simple majority vote is required to pass the amending ordinance.
(2) In the event the recommendation of the Plan Commission is adverse, the amending ordinance shall not be passed, except by an affirmative vote of 75% of the members of the Town Council.
(D) Failure of the Town Council to pass such a proposed ordinance by said affirmative vote within 90 days after rejection by the Plan Commission shall constitute rejection of the proposed ordinance. It shall not be reconsidered by the Plan Commission or the Town Council until the expiration of one year after the date of its original rejection by the Plan Commission unless substantial change in the proposal or circumstances can be shown and an exception made to this rule.
(Ord. 9-80, passed 12-15-1980)