If the person notified to abate a nuisance or condition neglects or fails to abate as directed, the city may perform the required action to abate, keeping an accurate account of the expense incurred. The itemized expense account shall be filed with the Clerk who shall pay those expenses on behalf of the city.
(Iowa Code § 364.12(3h)) (1999 Code, § 50.09)