Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Signs To Conform:
1. Except as provided in this title, a sign shall not be erected, raised, moved, placed, reconstructed, extended, enlarged or altered, unless in conformity with this chapter.
2. A nonconforming sign shall not be altered, reconstructed, raised, moved, placed, extended or enlarged, unless said sign is changed so as to conform to all provisions of this chapter.
B. Abatement Of Prohibited Signs: Signs prohibited under other laws or ordinances are also in violation of this chapter and are subject to remedies herein provided. The nonconforming sign provisions of this chapter shall not be applicable to such prohibited signs.
C. Inspection By Planning Commission: The Planning Commission shall be responsible for inspecting signs as defined by this chapter, and shall be authorized to enforce this chapter, but the City Council, by resolution or ordinance, may from time to time entrust such administration, in whole or in part, to any other office of City government without amendment to this subsection.
D. Legal Action: The Planning Commission, with the consent of the City Council, shall be empowered to institute any appropriate action or proceeding in any case where any sign is erected, constructed, reconstructed, altered, repaired, converted or maintained, or in any case where any sign is used in violation of any ordinance, to accomplish the following purposes:
1. To prevent such unlawful erection, construction, reconstruction, alteration, repair, conversion, maintenance or use.
2. To restrain, to correct or abate such violation.
3. To abate and remove unsafe or dangerous signs. If an unsafe or dangerous sign is not repaired or made safe within ten (10) working days after giving notice as provided below, the Planning Commission may at once abate and remove said sign and the person having charge, control or benefit of any such sign shall pay to the City the costs incurred for such removal within thirty (30) calendar days after written notice of the costs is mailed to such person.
4. For purposes of this chapter, "notice by or from the City" shall mean written notice sent by certified mail to persons having charge, control or benefit of any sign.
E. Immediate Hazard: In the case of an unsafe or illegal sign that is either an immediate hazard or whose primary purpose will have been served, at least in part, before the expiration of the notice period required herein, the Planning Commission may effect an immediate removal, at the expense of the persons having charge, control or benefit of the sign, without notice, subject to a subsequent right of hearing by the person receiving benefits therefrom.
F. Notice Of Nonmaintained Sign: The Planning Commission shall require each nonmaintained or abandoned sign to be removed from the building or premises when such sign has not been repaired or put into use by the owner, person having control or person receiving benefits of such structure within thirty (30) calendar days after notice of nonmaintenance or abandonment is given to the owner, person having control or person receiving benefit of such structure. The Planning Commission may remove any such sign, at the expense of the person having control, charge or benefit of the sign, if such sign is not repaired or removed from the building or premises within thirty (30) calendar days after notice to repair or remove is given. (Ord. 2012.04, 1-18-2012)