Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) No person shall operate a qualified golf cart and/or recreational off-highway vehicle without first obtaining a permit from the Police Chief and/or his or her designee as provided herein. The Police Department may issue such an annual permit for any date approved of and designated by the Board of Trustees. The cost of the permit is $25. Insurance coverage is to be verified to be in effect by the Police Department when obtaining and renewing a permit.
(B) Every application for a permit shall be made on a form supplied by the village and shall contain the following information:
(1) Name and address of applicant;
(2) Name of liability insurance carrier;
(3) The serial number, make, model and description of golf cart;
(4) Signed waiver of liability by applicant releasing the village and agreeing to indemnify and hold the village harmless from any and all future claims resulting from the operation of its golf carts and/or recreational off-highway vehicles on village streets;
(5) Photocopy of applicable liability insurance coverage card specifically for the vehicle to be operated pursuant to the permit; and
(6) Such other information as the village may require.
(C) No permit shall be granted unless the following conditions are met.
(1) The vehicle must be inspected by the designated representative to ensure that the vehicle is safe to operate on village streets and is in compliance with this chapter and with the State Motor Vehicle Code, being 625 ILCS 5/1-100 et seq.
(2) A physically handicapped applicant must submit a certificate signed by the physician, certifying that the applicant is able to safely operate a qualified golf cart and/or recreational off-highway vehicles on village streets.
(3) The applicant must provide evidence of insurance in compliance with the provisions of the state statutes regarding minimum liability insurance.
(D) The village may suspend or revoke a permit granted hereunder upon a finding that the holder thereof has violated any provision of this chapter or there is evidence that permittee cannot safely operate a qualified golf cart and/or recreational off-highway vehicle on the designated roadways.
(E) The Village Clerk shall be authorized to issue a permit on only such days as may be approved by the Board of Trustees.
(F) Special permits shall be granted for a period of 72 hours for the date designated on the permit. There shall be a $25 fee that shall be applied to the Fun Day Fund.
(G) No permits shall be issued for all-terrain vehicles. Their use in the public right of way is outright prohibited.
(H) Notwithstanding any other provisions, the within restrictions and requirements shall not apply to such vehicles operated and/or owned by the village.
(Ord. 2016-O-16, passed 9-20-2016)