Skip to code content (skip section selection)
As used in this chapter:
(a) "Deception" means knowingly deceiving another or causing another to be deceived, by any false or misleading representation, by withholding information, by preventing another from acquiring information, or by any other conduct, act or omission which creates, confirms or perpetuates a false impression in another, including a false impression as to law, value, state of mind, or other objective or subjective fact.
(b) "Defraud" means to knowingly obtain, by deception, some benefit for oneself or another, or to knowingly cause, by deception, some detriment to another.
(c) "Deprive" means to:
(1) Withhold property of another permanently, or for such period as to appropriate a substantial portion of its value or use, or with purpose to restore it only upon payment of a reward or other consideration;
(2) Dispose of property so as to make it unlikely that the owner will recover it;
(3) Accept, use or appropriate money, property or services, with purpose not to give proper consideration in return therefor, and without reasonable justification or excuse for not giving proper consideration.
(d) "Owner" means any person, other than the actor, who is the owner of, or who has possession or control of, or any license or interest in property or services, even though such ownership, possession, control, license or interest is unlawful.
(e) "Services" include labor, personal services, professional services, public utility services, common carrier services, food, drink, transportation, entertainment and computer services.
(f) "Writing" means any computer program, document, letter, memorandum, note, paper, plate, data, film or other thing having in or upon it any written, typewritten or printed matter, and also means any token, stamp, seal, credit card, badge, trademark, label or other symbol of value, right, privilege, license or identification.
(g) "Forge" means to fabricate or create, in whole or in part and by any means any spurious writing, or to make, execute, alter, complete, reproduce or otherwise purport to authenticate any writing, when such writing in fact is not authenticated thereby.
(h) "Utter" means to issue, publish, transfer, use, put or send into circulation, deliver or display.
(i) "Coin machine" means any mechanical or electronic device designed to do both of the following:
(1) Receive a coin or bill, or token made for that purpose;
(2) In return for the insertion or deposit of a coin, bill or token, automatically dispense property, provide a service or grant a license.
(j) "Slug" means an object which, by virtue of its size, shape, composition or other quality, is capable of being inserted or deposited in a coin machine as an improper substitute for a genuine coin, bill or token made for that purpose.
(k) "Theft offense" means any of the following:
(Ord. 342-14. Passed 8-12-14.)
(2) A violation of an existing or former municipal ordinance or law of this or any other state or the United States substantially equivalent to any section listed in subsection (k)(1) hereof;
(3) An offense under an existing or former municipal ordinance or law of this or any other state or the United States involving robbery, burglary, breaking and entering, theft, embezzlement, wrongful conversion, forgery, counterfeiting, deceit or fraud;
(4) A conspiracy or attempt to commit, or complicity in committing any offense under subsection (k)(1), (2), or (3) hereof.
(l) "Computer services" includes, but is not limited to, the use of a computer system, computer network, computer program, data that is prepared for computer use or data that is contained within a computer system or network.
(m) "Computer" means an electronic device that performs logical, arithmetic and memory functions by the manipulation of electronic or magnetic impulses. "Computer" includes, but is not limited to, all input, output, processing, storage, computer program or communication facilities that are connected or related, in a computer system or network to such an electronic device.
(n) "Computer system" means a set of related computers, whether connected or unconnected, and the equipment that is necessary to operate the computers.
(o) "Computer network" means a set of related and remotely connected computers and communication facilities that includes more than one computer system that has the capability to transmit among the connected computers and communication facilities through the use of computer facilities.
(p) "Computer program" means an ordered set of data representing coded instructions or statements that when executed by a computer cause the computer to process data.
(q) "Data" means a representation of information, knowledge, facts, concepts or instructions that are prepared in a formalized manner and that are intended for use in a computer system or network.
(ORC 2913.01; Ord. 485-83. Passed 5-24-83.)
(r) Cable television service" means any services provided by or through the facilities of any cable television system, or any microwave or similar transmission service used in connection with any cable television system or other similar closed circuit coaxial cable communications system.
(ORC 2913.01; Ord. 134-86. Passed 2-25-86.)