Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Permit Required; Restrictions:
1. No person shall place or maintain any shafts of wood, iron or other material, billboards, signs, fences, poles, rods, cables, or wires in any of the streets, public places or alleys of the town without having first obtained a permit from the town council.
2. It shall be unlawful for any person, either as owner or occupant of any premises within the town, to erect, or cause to be erected, or to permit or suffer to remain any sign, marquee, eave, or other private structures, which project over any sidewalk or street adjoining any state or national highway through the town, unless the lowest portion thereof shall have a clearance from the top of the curb, sidewalk or highway shoulder elevation of not less than seven and one-half feet (71/2'), and a lateral clearance of at least three feet (3') behind the face of the curb, or sidewalk, or shoulder of the road, unless permission for the erection or maintenance thereof shall have first been secured from the town council. (1976 Code § 12.12.030)
3. Any person violating any of the provisions of this subsection A shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined as set forth in section 1-4-1 of this code; and in addition, the town shall have the right to remove any sign, marquee, eave or other private structure unlawfully erected if the same is not removed by the owner within five (5) days from the date of service of notice to remove given by any town officer. (1976 Code § 12.12.030; amd. 2016 Code)
B. Structural Obstructions; Permit For Limited Time:
1. No person shall maintain any building, fence, porch, steps, gallery, or other structure upon any street or alley within the town.
2. The town council may, in its discretion, grant permits to persons which will allow them to maintain such structures for a limited time to be specified in the permit. (1976 Code § 12.12.040)
C. Order To Remove:
1. Any building, fence, porch, steps, gallery, or other structural obstruction now upon or hereafter placed or erected upon any street or alley within the town, or which may be upon any new street or alley which may hereafter be opened or created within the town, shall be removed therefrom within a reasonable time, not exceeding thirty (30) days and not less than three (3) days after an order to remove, in writing, has been given to the owner or person responsible for such obstruction. (1976 Code § 12.12.050)
2. If the owner or person responsible for such obstruction cannot be readily found for the purpose of such notice, it shall be the duty of an enforcement official or designee of the town council to cause the obstruction to be removed, in his discretion. The expense of such removal shall be recoverable from the owner or person responsible for the obstruction. (1976 Code § 12.12.050; amd. 2016 Code)
3. Any person who interferes with, resists or obstructs by acts or threats, the removal of any such obstruction shall be deemed guilty of a violation of this chapter. (1976 Code § 12.12.050)
D. Order To Remove Obstructions: Notice to remove obstructions described in subsections A and C of this section, specifying same, and the place and extent of same, shall be given to the occupant or owner of the land involved, or to the person owning or causing such obstruction. Notice shall be given by leaving such notice at the place of residence of the person to be served, if he resides in the town, or by posting such notice on the obstruction, if such person does not reside in the town. (1976 Code § 12.12.060)