Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Office Created; Appointment: There is hereby created the office of chief of police. The chief shall be appointed by the city manager, with the approval of the council, and he shall be ex officio city marshal and superintendent of police. Such appointments shall not be limited to members of the police department. (1988 Code §5.302; amd. Ord. 2002.95, 4-21-2003)
1. Jail: The chief of police shall be the keeper of the city jail and shall have custody of all persons incarcerated therein.
2. Records And Reports: He shall keep such records and make such reports concerning the activities of his department as may be required by statute or by the city council.
3. Police Department: The chief shall be responsible for the performance by the police department of all its functions and all persons who are members of the department shall serve subject to the orders of the chief of police. (1988 Code §5.305)
4. Stolen Property: The chief of police shall be the custodian of all lost and abandoned or stolen property in the city. (1988 Code §5.312)
5. Commander Selection: The chief of police shall be responsible for the selection and promotion of all commander and successively higher ranked officers within the police department, subject to the advice and consent of the city manager. Commanders and successively higher ranked officers shall not be subject to selection or promotion by the board of fire and police commissioners. (Ord. 2015.05, 5-4-2015)