Skip to code content (skip section selection)
AN ORDINANCE ENACTING AND ADOPTING A CODE OF ORDINANCES FOR SURRY COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA, REVISING, RESTATING, AMENDING, CODIFYING AND COMPILING CERTAIN EXISTING GENERAL ORDINANCES OF SURRY COUNTY DEALING WITH SUBJECTS EMBRACED IN SUCH CODE OF ORDINANCES
WHEREAS, the present general and permanent ordinances of Surry County are inadequately arranged and classified and are insufficient in form and substance for the complete preservation of public peace, health, safety and general welfare of the County and for the proper conduct of its affairs; and
WHEREAS, The Acts of the Legislature of the State of North Carolina empower and authorize Surry County to revise, amend, restate codify and compile any existing ordinances and new ordinances and to incorporate such into one ordinance in book form; and
WHEREAS, The Surry County Board of Commissioners authorized a general compilation, revision and codification of many of the ordinances of Surry County in book form; and
WHEREAS, it is the intent of the Surry County Board of Commissioners to accept this codification of ordinances in accordance with the law of the State of North Carolina; and
WHEREAS, it is necessary to provide for the usual daily operation of the County and for the immediate preservation of the public peace, health, safety and general welfare of the County that this ordinance take effect on September 19, 2016.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED BY THE SURRY COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS THAT:
1. That the general ordinances of Surry County as revised, amended, restated, codified, and compiled in book form are hereby adopted as and shall constitute the “Code of Ordinances of the County of Surry, North Carolina.”
2. All prior ordinances pertaining to the subjects treated in such Code of Ordinances shall be deemed repealed from and after the effective date of this ordinance except as they are included and reordained in whole or in part in such Code; provided, such repeal shall not affect any offense committed or penalty incurred or any right established prior to the effective date of this ordinance, nor shall such repeal affect the provisions of ordinances levying taxes, appropriating money, annexing or detaching territory, establishing franchises, or granting special rights to certain persons, authorizing public improvements, authorizing the issuance of bonds or borrowing of money, authorizing the purchase or sale of real or personal property, granting or accepting easements, plat or dedication of land to public use, vacating or setting the boundaries of streets or other public places; nor shall such repeal affect any other ordinance of a temporary or special nature or pertaining to subjects not contained in or covered by the Code.
3. The Code of Ordinances shall be deemed published as of the day of its adoption and approved by the Surry County Board of Commissioners. The Code of Ordinances is hereby authorized and ordered to be kept on file in the Office of the Surry County Clerk to the Board.
4. Such code shall be in full force and effect as provided in division 5., and such code shall be presumptive evidence in all courts and places of the ordinances and all provisions, sections, penalties and regulations therein contained and of the date of passage, and that the same is properly signed, attested, recorded, and approved and that any public hearings and notices thereof as required by law have been given.
5. The Code of Ordinances shall take effect on September 19, 2016.
Adopted this the 19th day of September 2016 by the Surry County Board of Commissioners.
\s\ R.F. (Buck) Golding
R.F. "Buck" Golding
\s\ Conchita Atkins
Clerk to the Board