Skip to code content (skip section selection)
It shall be unlawful for any person in any parks, recreation center, playground, swimming pool, swimming area, ball field, tennis court or any other recreation facility, and the parking facilities thereof, owned or controlled by the Town of Surf City to:
(a) Willfully mark, deface, disfigure, injure, tamper with or displace or remove any structure, equipment, facilities or other property, either real or personal.
(b) Damage, cut, carve, transplant or remove any tree or plant or injure the bark or pick the flowers or seeds of any tree or plant, or dig or otherwise disturb grass areas, or in any other way injure or impair the natural beauty or usefulness of any area.
(c) Bring in, dump, deposit or leave any bottles, broken glass, ashes, paper, boxes, cans, dirt, rubbish, wastes, garbage or refuse, or other trash.
(d) Fail to obey all traffic officers authorized and instructed to direct traffic whenever and wherever needed in the parks.
(e) Fail to observe carefully all traffic signs indicating speed, direction, caution, stopping or parking and all others posted for proper control and to safeguard life and property.
(f) Drive any vehicle on any area except the paved park road(s) or parking areas.
(g) Park a vehicle in other than an established or designated parking area.
(h) Swim, bathe or wade in any waters or waterways in or adjacent to any park, except in such waters and at such places as are provided therefor, and in compliance with such regulations as are herein set forth or such as may be established by the parks and recreation department.
(i) Picnic or lunch in a place other than those designated for that purpose. Attendants shall have the authority to regulate the activities in such areas when necessary to prevent congestion and to secure the maximum use for the comfort and convenience of the public.
(j) Violate the regulation that use of the individual fireplaces, together with tables and benches, follows generally the rule of "first-come, first served," unless a picnic reservation has been issued.
(k) Leave a picnic area before the fire is completely extinguished and before all trash in the nature of boxes, papers, cans, bottles, garbage and other refuse is placed in receptacles provided. If no such trash receptacles are available, then refuse and trash shall be carried away from the park area by the user to be properly disposed of elsewhere.
(l) Camp in any area without permission of the police department. No person shall set up tents, shacks or any other temporary shelter for the purpose of overnight camping, nor shall any person leave in any park after closing hours any movable structure of special vehicle to be used or that could be used for such purpose, such as a camper-trailer, house trailer or the like without permission of the town manager.
(m) Bring or have in his possession, or set off or otherwise cause to explode or discharge or burn any firecrackers or other fireworks or explosives; or discharge them; or throw them into any such area from land or highway adjacent thereto.
(n) Build or attempt to build a fire except in such areas and under such regulations as may be designated for the purpose by the fire department. No person shall drop, throw or otherwise scatter lighted matches, burning cigarettes or cigars or other flammable material within any park area or on any highway, road or street abutting or contiguous thereto.
(o) Enter an area posted as "Closed to the Public."
(p) Sleep or protractedly lounge on the seats, benches, floors or other areas; or engage in loud, boisterous, threatening, abusive, insulting or indecent language, or engage in any disorderly conduct or behavior tending to a breach of the public peace.
(q) Disturb or interfere unreasonably with any person or party occupying any area or participating in any authorized activity.
(r) Sell food, beverages or merchandise or solicit donations for any individual, group, company or corporation without approval by the parks and recreation director and/or through the special events application process.
(s) Possess firearm/weapon.
(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to possess or carry on or about his or her person, whether openly or concealed, any deadly weapon as defined in G.S. 14-269, including but not limited to: a bowie knife, dirk, dagger, loaded cane, metallic knuckles, razor, shurikin, stun gun, nightstick or other weapons, excluding guns. Possession or carrying of any pistol, revolver, gun, or rifle, within any town park or trail is prohibited except as to permitted concealed carry in accordance with G.S. 14-415.23 and also as specifically defined in this section.
This section shall not apply to law enforcement or other government personnel acting within the scope of their employment; nor shall this section apply to weapons used for officially sanctioned ceremonial purposes.
(2) It shall also be unlawful for any person to possess a sling shot, BB gun, paint gun or other similar toy or weapon which entails the use of or forcibly hurls a projectile or missile within any town park or trail way.
(3) Except as provided in subsection (6) below all persons are prohibited from possessing any firearm and other weapons, unless carried concealed under the authority of a lawful concealed handgun permit, in any town park. However, the exception for concealed carry on a lawful concealed handgun permit does not apply to those locations identified in subsection (4).
(4) Except as provided in subsection (6) below all persons are prohibited from possession any firearm and other weapons, including a concealed handgun carried under the authority of a lawful concealed handgun permit, at the following town recreational facilities (i.e. athletic facilities and athletic fields during an organized athletic event) in accordance with G.S. 14-415.23:
Kenny G. Batts Family Park
Basketball courts and affiliated areas and Restrooms
Surf City Community Center
Baseball, Football, and Soccer fields and affiliated areas and Restrooms
Recreation Center/Gymnasium and Restrooms
(5) Nothing herein is intended to prohibit a person from storing a firearm within a locked motor vehicle while the vehicle is on the aforementioned properties in the town provided that the firearm is secured in the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or area within or on the motor vehicle.
(6) This prohibition shall not apply to the following persons:
a. Officers and enlisted personnel of the armed forces of the United States when in discharge of their official duties as such and acting under orders requiring them to carry arms and weapons.
b. Civil officers of the United States while in the discharge of their official duties.
c. Officers and soldiers of the militia and the National Guard when called into actual service.
d. Sworn law enforcement officer.
e. County of Pender animal control officers.
f. Private security officers under contract with the town, while in the actual performance of their required duties.
g. Persons firing firearms without projectiles in organized educational, entertainment, instructional, or ceremonial events authorized or sponsored by the town.
(7) Any person in violation of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be fined $500 or imprisoned or both.
(8) Firearms and other weapons possessed in violation of this section are hereby declared to be contraband. The chief of police or his or her designee shall dispose of such weapons pursuant to applicable state law.
(t) Enter, use or remain within any park between the hours of 12:00 midnight and 8:00 a.m. unless a written permit therefor has been obtained from the police department.
(Ord. No. 1993-22, § 2, 8-3-93; Ord. No. 2004-31, 10-5-04; Ord. No., passed 2-4-14; Ord. No. 2018-07, § I, 9-4-18)