Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) When services are discontinued and all bills paid, the deposit will be refunded.
(b) Upon discontinuance of service for nonpayment of bills, the deposit will be applied by the town toward settlement of the account. Any balance will be refunded to the consumer; but if the deposit is not sufficient to cover the bill, the town may proceed to collect the balance in the usual way provided by law for the collection of debts.
(c) Service discontinued for nonpayment of bills will be restored only after bills are paid in full for the entire period of discontinuance, redeposit made to the minimum amount specified, and a reconnection fee paid for each meter reconnected.
(d) The town reserves the right to discontinue its service without notice for the following additional reasons:
(1) To prevent fraud or abuse.
(2) Owner/customer's willful disregard of the town's rules and regulations.
(3) Emergency repairs to municipal property.
(4) Insufficiency of water supply due to circumstances beyond the town's control.
(5) Legal process.
(6) Direction of public authorities having jurisdiction over such matters.
(7) Strike, riot, fire, flood, accident or any unavoidable cause.
(e) Any person tampering with, re-connecting, or by-passing any meter upon premises where service has been discontinued for failure to pay bills shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and punished pursuant to the provisions of G.S. 14-4.
(f) The town may, in addition to prosecution, permanently refuse service to any owner/customer who tampers, adjusts, or resets, or otherwise interferes with meters or measuring devices.
(Ord. No. 1992-1, 1-7-92; Ord. No. 2021-09, 5-4-21)