Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) It shall be unlawful to skate or go upon roller-skates or skateboards on any of the streets or sidewalks within the boundaries of the town, except as outlined in the following:
(1) The posted speed limit is twenty- five (25) mph or less.
(2) Riders must yield to any pedestrian or vehicular traffic.
(3) Riders may cross a street that has a posted speed limit greater than twenty-five (25) mph.
(4) Riders may operate on town sidewalks. Riders must yield to pedestrians while on any town sidewalk. Pedestrians shall have the right-of-way on sidewalks. In the case of any doubt of safe and untouched passage by a pedestrian, riders shall stop or dismount, until the pedestrian passes.
(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to skate upon the following:
(1) The Surf City Bridge Multi-Use Path;
(2) Any municipal owned parking lot; or
(3) Public parking lots which have posted signs restricting such activity.
(c) It shall be unlawful for the operator of a bicycle, when upon any street of the town, to carry any person upon the handlebars of any such bicycle.
(1) A front-mount child bicycle seat may be utilized for the proper carrying of a child when mounted and used in coordination with manufacturers safety guidelines.
(Code 1977, § 16-34; Ord. No. 1990-13, 6-12-90; Ord. No. 2020-09, 8-21-20; Ord. No. 2021-08, 5-4-21)