Skip to code content (skip section selection)
For the purposes of this ordinance, demonstrations shall include picketing, protesting, striking, rally, marches and other group planned activities. Peaceful demonstrations shall be permitted in the town, provided an application be submitted seventy-two (72) hours prior to said event and the same is done under the following conditions:
(1) Demonstrations shall be conducted only on the town-owned area normally used or reserved for pedestrian movement, including easements and rights-of-way, and shall not be conducted on the portion of a street used primarily for vehicular traffic.
(2) Such demonstrators may carry written or printed placards or signs not exceeding two (2) feet in width and two (2) feet in height promoting the objective for which the picketing is done; provided, that the words used are not defamatory in nature and would not tend to produce violence. The staff on which such placard is carried shall not exceed forty (40) inches in length, must be made of wood, shall not exceed three-fourths of an inch in diameter at any point and must be blunt at each end.
(3) Demonstrators must march in single file and not abreast and may not march closer together than fifteen (15) feet, except in passing one another.
(4) If pickets promoting different objectives desire to use the same area for a demonstration and such use would result in the presence of more than ten (10) demonstrators thereon, the chief of police shall allot time to each group for the use of such area on an equitable basis, but each group shall be permitted to demonstrate to the provisions of this section at least once every two (2) hours.
(5) It shall be unlawful for any demonstrator to address profane, indecent, abusive or threatening language to or at any person, which would tend to provoke such person or others to a breach of the peace.
(Ord. No. 2021-07, § 1 (part), 4-6-2021)