Sec. 16-25. Moving and setting up houses, modular homes, manufactured homes, swimming pools, and other large structures.
   Large structure means anything that requires, through delivery or setup, the potential to block or obstruct a travel lane.
   (a)   Permit required. No person shall move or assist in moving any house, shop, modular home, manufactured home, swimming pool, or other large building through any street or over any bridge in the town prior to notifying the police department, fire department, and streets department and receiving a written permit issued by the Town of Surf City and NC Department of Transportation. The police, fire and streets department may refuse to grant a permit when, in their opinion, after having examined the object to be moved, it is of such bulk or is of such weight as to constitute an undue hazard to the street pavements, curbs, signs, street plantings or other items within the public right-of-way.
   (b)   Application for permit. Any person desiring a permit as required in subsection (a) shall file an application therefore with the Town of Surf City. Such application shall describe the house, modular home, manufactured home, swimming pool, shop or other large structures intended to be moved and shall set out the route over which the structure is to be moved and shall contain such other information as may be required by the Town of Surf City.
   (c)   A bond/deposit may be required to cover costs of potential property damage, clean up, and fire and police services that may be required. Bond amount will be determined by the structure being moved and potential damage to streets and traffic delays. The streets department will determine possible streets damage. The police and fire department will determine whether escort and traffic control are needed to keep street access clear for emergency vehicles. Notice of the day of the move must be submitted to and approved by the police department a minimum of ten (10) business days before such move occurs. Notification shall be provided to property owners/residents that are affected by the moving of the structure.
   (d)   Cutting of utilities. Whenever it becomes necessary to cut utility services when any house, shop or other building is being moved along a street pursuant to a permit as required in subsection (a), the permittee must, prior to the beginning of the movement, make satisfactory arrangements covering the cost of cutting and repairing such utilities with the owning utility.
(Code 1977, §§ 25-34—25-37; Ord. No. 2021-07, § 1 (part), 4-6-2021; Ord. No. 2023-03, § 1, 4-4-2023)
State law reference— Professional housemoving, G.S. 20-356 et seq.