Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Appointment of members to Sunset Valley Arts Commission.
(1) Commission members shall be appointed by the City Council.
(2) Commission members will be appointed at the first regular meeting following the city elections or as soon thereafter as possible.
(3) Commission member appointments will be for a term of one year.
(B) Structure of Commission.
(1) The City Council Liaison is the City Council member assigned to the Arts Commission as a non-voting member and counts toward the quorum. The City Council Liaison provides communication
between the City Council and the committee. The City Council Liaison cannot be an officer of the committee.
(2) Commissions shall be composed of at least five regular members who shall be residents of the city.
(3) Alternates may be appointed who shall also be residents of the city.
(4) One honorary member may be appointed who has experience in a field relating to the standing Commission and may or may not be a resident of the city.
(5) The Commission shall select a chairperson and a vice-chairperson who will serve as chairperson in the chairperson's absence.
(6) The Commission shall select a secretary who is responsible for preparing the minutes of each Commission meeting. The secretary may be the city staff assigned to the Commission.
(C) Purpose of Sunset Valley Arts Commission. The purpose of the Commission is to serve in an advisory capacity to assist and make recommendations to Council and department heads to research, develop, implement, and evaluate policies, programs, and projects related to the arts, and in particular encourage and promote tourism in the city.
(D) Rules of Sunset Valley Arts Commission.
(1) The chairperson or vice-chairperson of the Commission shall be in attendance at all Commission meetings.
(2) A majority of regular Commission members shall constitute a quorum.
(3) The Commission must conduct their meetings in accordance with the Texas Open Meetings Act; post notice in the same manner as their parent bodies; and keep a set of minutes.
(4) Members will hold a meeting as soon as possible after appointment by the Council, to review Commission actions of the previous year and plan for the current year.
(5) At the first meeting after appointment by the Council, the Commission may approve a regular Commission meeting schedule.
(6) Upon request by any member, the chairperson shall call a meeting within 30 days or other time period that is reasonable under the circumstances.
(7) Members do not possess legislative powers and are vested only with the authority to fulfill the purposes of the Commission as set forth in division (C) above.
(8) Commissions shall meet a minimum of once each three months.
(E) Reporting to Council.
(1) Commission reports will be made quarterly at City Council meetings.
(2) Subjects and any supporting material must be given to the City Secretary no later than noon Thursday preceding the regular Council meetings.
(F) Hotel Occupancy Tax Funds. In addition to complying with the requirements of Tex. Tax Code Ch. 351, and any other applicable law, with respect to any expenditures of funds collected by the city pursuant to Tex. Tax Code Ch. 351, the Commission must present any and all proposed expenditures to the City Council for approval.
(Ord. 070717, passed 7-17-2007; Ord. 100622-A, passed 7-22-2010; Ord. 200204, passed 2-4-2020)