Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) When deciding which prospective candidate to appoint, the City Council may consider the following factors:
(1) Whether the candidate has unique qualifications, experiences or skills that will be useful to the city;
(2) The extent of public support for the candidate, taking into account recent election results if the candidate recently ran for election or re-election to City Council;
(3) Whether the candidate has prior experience serving on city committees or prior experience serving on the City Council;
(4) Whether the candidate resides in an area of the city that is currently under represented on the Council, taking into consideration all elected positions;
(5) Whether the candidate is currently engaged in business with the city or has other financial interests that may present ethical issues or require the candidate to recuse himself or herself from Council actions;
(6) Each candidate’s presentation before Council and citizens, and responses to any questions posed by Council or citizens, including, in particular, the effectiveness and responsiveness of those responses; and
(7) The recommendation, if any, of the Council member whose seat is being filled.
(B) Each member of the City Council may consider other factors that are not included in this section and may exercise his or her discretion in weighing these factors and any others.
(Ord. 080318, passed 3-18-2008; Ord. 160112, passed 1-12-2016)