Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Authority to require installations. The Director is hereby authorized to require any person discharging or proposing to discharge wastewater containing prohibited waste to the POTW to install, operate and maintain in safe and proper operating order, at the sole expense of the person, pretreatment, sampling, monitoring, flow equalization, flow metering or other equipment of a size, type, character and specification as the Director shall determine appropriate for the discharge, operations and facilities of the person.
(B) Sampling port and control manhole. Any person discharging wastewater containing prohibited waste to the POTW or proposing the discharge shall install, operate and maintain, at the sole expense of the person discharging or proposing the discharge, a suitable sampling port or control manhole in accordance with the following requirements:
(1) The sampling port or control manhole shall be located at a place approved by the Director at or near the property line;
(2) The sampling port or control manhole shall intersect the common building drain line connected to the city’s sanitary sewer;
(3) If the property has more than one drain line connected to the city’s sanitary sewer, a sampling port or control manhole must be constructed on each drain line;
(4) Plans for the sampling port and/or manhole shall be submitted to the Director for review and approval prior to commencement of construction thereof;
(5) The sampling port and/or manhole shall be maintained at all times in a safe and proper operating condition in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications; and
(6) The sampling port and/or manhole shall be accessible at all times to the Director for inspection, sampling, monitoring of flows and any other purposes relating to the implementation and enforcement of this chapter.
(C) Flow equalization tanks. In order to prevent pass through, interference, overloading of the collection system, treatment plant upset, inadequate treatment or damage to the POTW, the Director may require a flow equalization tank of a design, size and construction approved by the Director for this purpose.
(D) Operation and maintenance. The person discharging wastewater containing prohibited waste shall operate and maintain all required pretreatment, sampling, monitoring, flow equalization or flow metering equipment required under this chapter at his or her sole expense in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications and the requirements of this chapter.
(E) Monitoring installations by regulatory agencies. As a condition for connection and discharge to the POTW, the city, the state and the EPA shall have the right to install and maintain on premises emitting a discharge of wastewater containing industrial waste or other prohibited waste the equipment, devices and personnel as are deemed necessary to conduct sampling, metering or other monitoring of the person’s facilities, operations or discharge.
(F) Special monitoring and recording devices for pretreatment facilities. The Director is hereby authorized to require any person by this chapter to use pretreatment facilities prior to discharging to the POTW to install the monitoring and recording devices as the Director shall determine necessary to monitor the following parameters:
(2) Dissolved oxygen (DO);
(3) Total carbon (TC);
(4) Oxidation reduction potential (ORP);
(7) Specific ions;
(9) Total organic carbon (TOC);
(10) Lower explosive limit (LEL);
(11) Sulfides; and
(12) Other and further parameters as the Director shall determine necessary to monitor the discharge of to the POTW.
(Ord. 970318A, passed 3-18-1997)