Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The following requirements and procedures shall apply to any person discharging or proposing to discharge prohibited waste to the POTW.
(A) Wastewater discharge permit required. It shall be unlawful for any person to deposit or discharge prohibited waste to the POTW without first having made application and obtained a wastewater discharge permit and complied with all applicable provisions of this chapter.
(B) Form of application. Each application for a wastewater discharge permit hereunder shall be made in writing and filed with the Director on a form promulgated for this purpose by the Director.
(C) Information requirements. An application for a wastewater discharge permit under this chapter shall include, at a minimum, the following information:
(1) Name, title, address and telephone number of the applicant;
(2) Description of the activities, facilities and processes conducted on the premises for which a wastewater discharge permit is sought;
(3) The nature and characteristics of the proposed discharge;
(4) A complete list of all raw materials and chemicals used or stored at the facility sought to be permitted which are or could, either accidentally or intentionally, be discharged to the POTW or sanitary sewer;
(5) Each product produced by type, amount, process and rate of production;
(6) Type and amount of raw materials processed, including the daily average and daily maximum;
(7) A copy of the site plans, floor plans, mechanical and plumbing plans with sufficient detail to show all sewers, floor drains, pretreatment facilities and appurtenances by size, location and elevation and all points of origin;
(8) Time and duration of the discharge; and
(9) Other and further information deemed necessary by the Director to evaluate the wastewater discharge permit application, to determine whether the facilities of the applicant and proposed discharge will be in compliance with this chapter, or otherwise to fulfill the purposes and intent of this chapter.
(D) Certification of signatory. All applications for a wastewater discharge permit hereunder shall contain the following certification and be signed by a duly authorized representative of the applicant:
“I certify under penalty of law that this document and all attachments were prepared under my direction or supervision in accordance with a system designed to assure that qualified personnel properly gather and evaluate the information submitted. Based on my inquiry of the person or persons who manage the system, or those persons directly responsible for gathering the information, the information submitted is to the best of my knowledge and belief, true, accurate, and complete. I am aware that there are significant penalties for submitting false information, including the possibility of legal action, fine and rejection of this application.”
(E) Identity of applicant. An application for issuance of a wastewater discharge permit shall be filed by the owner, occupant or manager of premises for which a wastewater discharge permit is sought, and in whose name water service from the city is established. If the owner, occupant or manager is a business entity other than a natural person (e.g., corporation, partnership, association and the like), the application shall be made in the name of the entity.
(F) Identity of signatory. If an application for issuance of a wastewater discharge permit under this chapter is made by a natural person, the person shall sign the application. If an application for issuance of a wastewater discharge permit under this chapter is made on behalf of a legal entity other than a natural person, the application shall be made in the name of the entity and shall be signed by a principal, authorized corporate officer, ranking elected official or other duly authorized representative of the applicant entity.
(G) Application fees. An application for a wastewater discharge permit or an application for transfer of an existing wastewater discharge permit shall be accompanied by the nonrefundable application and permit fee established from time to time by the City Council by ordinance or resolution.
(H) Transfer of existing permit. At least 90 days prior to a transfer of ownership, occupancy or management of premises currently permitted hereunder, the new owner, occupant or manager shall apply for transfer of the wastewater discharge permit to the new owner, occupant or manager and approval thereof by the Director shall be subject to the following conditions:
(1) The new owner, occupant or manager shall submit a written application for transfer thereof on a form provided for this purpose by the Director satisfying all information requirements for new applications for wastewater discharge permits hereunder;
(2) The application for transfer must indicate no material change in equipment, facilities or processes on the permitted premises;
(3) The application for transfer must indicate no material change in the character, quantity, rate of flow or other characteristics of the industrial waste discharge; and
(4) The discharge from the permitted premises must be in compliance with the requirements of this chapter at the time of the transfer.
(I) Multiple use buildings. For multiple use buildings (such as shopping centers, medical service buildings, and the like) having one water meter issued to the same person, one permit shall be issued to the person in whose name the water bill is issued provided the application conforms to the requirements and procedures set forth in this chapter. The quality and volume of the discharge from a multiple use building shall be monitored by the city and the applicant shall be responsible for the discharge and be billed accordingly.
(Ord. 970318A, passed 3-18-1997) Penalty, see § 51.999