Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) No person or real estate agent shall:
(1) Discriminate against any person in the selling, leasing, subleasing, renting, assigning or otherwise transferring of any interest in housing.
(2) Discriminate against any person by refusing to negotiate, refusing to transmit a bona fide offer, making false representations on the availability of the housing unit for inspection, sale or rental, or withdrawing from the market a housing unit which is for sale, lease, sublease or rental.
(3) Include in the terms, conditions or privileges of any sale, lease, sublease, rental, assignment or other transfer of any housing, any clause, condition or restriction discriminating against any person in the use or occupancy of such housing.
(4) Discriminate in the furnishing of any facilities, repairs, improvements or services or in the terms, conditions, privileges or tenure of occupancy of any person.
(b) No lending institution shall:
(1) Discriminate in lending money, guaranteeing loans, accepting a deed of trust or mortgage or otherwise making available funds for purchasing, constructing, improving, altering, repairing, rehabilitating or maintaining any housing, or discriminate against in the fixing of the amount, interest rate, duration or other terms, conditions or provisions of any such financial assistance.
(2) Discriminate in the lending of money, guaranteeing loans, accepting a deed of trust or mortgage or otherwise making funds available on the basis of the geographic location.
(c) No person, real estate agent or lending institution shall, with respect to any prohibited act specified in this chapter publish, circulate or cause to be published or circulated, any notice, statement, listing or advertisement, or announce a policy or make any record in connection with the prospective sale, lease, sublease, rental or financing of any housing which indicates reliance, determination or decision based on race, color, creed, sex, marital status, religious belief, national origin or handicap.
(d) No person or real estate agent shall assist in, compel or coerce the doing of any act declared to be an unlawful housing practice under this chapter, or obstruct or prevent endorsement or compliance with provisions of this chapter, or attempt directly or indirectly to commit any act declared by this chapter to be an unlawful housing practice.
(e) No person, real estate agent or lending institution shall:
(1) Induce or attempt to induce the sale, transfer of interest or listing for sale of any housing by making representations regarding the existing or potential proximity of real property owned, used or occupied by any person of any particular race, color, creed, sex, marital status, religious belief, national origin or handicap, by direct or indirect methods.
(2) Make any representation to a prospective purchaser or lessee that any housing in a particular block, neighborhood or area may undergo, is undergoing or has undergone a change with respect to race, color, creed, sex, marital status, religion, national origin or handicap of such block, neighborhood or area.
(3) Induce or attempt to induce the sale or listing for sale of any housing by representing that the presence or anticipated presence of persons of any particular race, color, creed, sex, marital status, religion, national origin or handicap in the block, neighborhood or area will or may result in:
A. The lowering of property values.
B. A change in the racial, color, religious or ethnic composition of the block, neighborhood or area in which the property is located.
C. An increase in criminal or antisocial behavior in the area.
D. A decline in the quality of the schools serving the area.
(f) No person or real estate agent shall cause or coerce or attempt to cause or coerce retaliation against any person because such person has lawfully opposed any act or failure to act that is a violation of this chapter or has, in good faith, filed a complaint, testified, participated or assisted in any way in any proceeding under this chapter or prevent any person from complying with this chapter.
(g) No person shall deny any other person access to or membership or participation in any multiple-listing service, real estate brokers' organization or other service, organization or facility relating to the business of selling or renting housing or discriminate against a person in the terms or conditions of such access, membership or participation.
(h) No person shall do any other thing or engage in conduct which would otherwise make unavailable equal housing opportunities.
(Ord. 77-7003. Passed 7-14-77.)