Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Nonagricultural Buildings:
1. Subsequent to the effective date hereof, no change in the use or occupancy in an existing nonagricultural building shall be made, nor shall any new nonagricultural building be occupied for any purpose until a certificate of occupancy has been issued by the building inspector. Every certificate of occupancy shall state that the new occupancy complies with all provisions of this title.
2. No permit for excavation for, or the erection, construction or alteration of any nonagricultural building shall be issued before the application has been made and approved for a certificate of occupancy, but no occupancy permit shall be issued until the erection, construction or alteration has been completed, inspected and approved by the building inspector, and no nonagricultural building or structure shall be occupied until the certificate and permit are issued.
B. Nonconforming Use Of Nonagricultural Land Or Building:
1. Certificate Required: A certificate of occupancy shall be required for all nonconforming uses of nonagricultural land or buildings existing after the effective date hereof, or any amendment hereto.
2. Application For Certificate: Application for such certificate of occupancy for nonconforming uses shall be filed with the building inspector by the owner or occupant of the land or building occupied by such nonconforming use within one year from the effective date hereof, or amendment hereto.
3. Issuance Of Certificate: It shall be the duty of the building inspector to issue a certificate of occupancy for nonconforming use.
4. Renewal Or Change Of Nonconforming Use: No nonconforming use shall be renewed or changed without a certificate of occupancy having first been issued by the building inspector.
C. Records Kept: A record of all certificates of occupancy shall be kept on file in the office of the building inspector, and copies shall be furnished on request to any person having proprietary or tenancy interest in the land or in a building affected by such certificate of occupancy. (Ord., 3-5-1973)