Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Definitions: For the purpose of this section the following definitions shall apply unless the context clearly indicates or requires a different meaning.
(1) "Air Gun" means any air gun, air rifle, air pistol, BB gun, CO-2 gun, paint ball gun or similar instrument or device capable of discharging projectiles by means of air pressure or spring action
(2) "Ammunition" means any leaden or metallic projectile, any pellet, or any other substance capable of inflicting injuries to persons or property when used in an airgun.
(b) Except as otherwise provided in Section 549.10, no person under the age of eighteen shall knowingly use or possess any air gun unless under the direct supervision of a responsible adult.
(c) No person shall knowingly use, shoot, force or throw by means of an air gun, as defined in (a)(1), or other arm or implement, a slingshot or a bow, or blow gun, any lead, iron or other hard substance not otherwise specified here unless all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The target of the person's shot is at least 100 feet or more away from any person, vehicle, residential or commercial structure, and public road or highway. All targets must have a suitable back stop at least three square feet in size and be made of plywood, hay barrels or similar material sufficient to stop propulsion;
(2) The person shooting has obtained the consent of the fee title property owner(s) prior to shooting. If the property is occupied by person(s) other than the fee title owner, consent must also be obtained from the occupant(s) of the property, in addition to the fee title owner; and
(3) The person shooting is 18 years of age or older. If the person shooting is under 18 years of age, he or she must be under the supervision or control of a responsible adult and may only shoot such device for the purpose of instruction in firearm safety, care, handling or marksmanship.
(d) No property owner or occupant shall knowingly permit a person to use a device described in subsection (a)(1) or (c ) on the owner's private property unless such use falls within the provisions of subsection (c )(1)-(3) hereof.
(e) Subsections (b), (c), and (d) shall not apply to City Council approved programs for the training in the use of such weapons, nor to businesses lawfully engaged in the business of paintball tournaments, nor to persons lawfully hunting pursuant to Section 549.08.
(f) No person shall sell or furnish any air gun, as defined in (a)(1), or other arm or implement, a slingshot or a bow, crossbow or blow gun, and lead, iron or other hard substance, or any ammunition for such weapons to any person under the age of eighteen years. Any such weapon sold to persons under the age of eighteen years may be confiscated and destroyed after conviction.
(g) Any air gun, as defined in (a)(1), or other arm or implement, a slingshot or a bow, crossbow or blow gun, and lead, iron or other hard substance, shall be confined to the rear cargo area or trunk, and shall be out of the immediate reach of all passengers when being transported in a motor vehicle.
(h) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree."
(Ord. 2018-10. Passed 3-8-18.)