For the purpose of this chapter, these words have the following meanings:
1. “Clean up” means the same as set out in Section 455B.381, subsection 1, of the Code of Iowa.
2. “County assistance” means activities and expenditures by Story County and its agents supported by general and supplemental tax funds.
3. “Hazardous condition” means the same as set out in Section 455B.381, subsection 4, of the Code of Iowa.
4. “Hazardous substance” means any substance as defined in Section 455B.381, subsection 5, of the Code of Iowa. “Hazardous substance” may include any hazardous waste identified or listed by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.
5. “Person having control over a hazardous substance” means the same as set out in Section 455B.381, subsection 7, of the Code of Iowa or any other legal entity that at any time produces, handles, stores, uses, transports, refines, or disposes of a hazardous substance.
6. “Political subdivision” means a municipality or the Story County Rural Fund, whichever has taxing authority for the area where the cleanup is required.
7. “Treatment” means a method, technique, or process, including neutralization, designed to change the physical, chemical, or biological character or composition of a hazardous substance so as to neutralize it or to render the substance non-hazardous, safe for transport, amendable for recovery, amendable for storage, or to reduce it in volume. Treatment includes any activity or processing designed to change the physical form or chemical composition of hazardous substance to render it non-hazardous.