"Abandoned junk motor vehicle" means any motor vehicle meeting all of the following requirements:
   (a)   Left on private property for more than seventy-two hours without the permission of the person having the right to the possession of the property, on a public street or other property open to the public for purposes of vehicular travel or parking, or upon or within the right-of-way of any road or highway, for forty-eight hours or longer;
   (b)   Three years old, or older;
   (c)   Extensively damaged, such damage including but not limited to any of the following: a broken window or windshield, missing wheels, tires, motor or transmission;
   (d)   Apparently inoperable;
   (e)   Having a fair market value of fifteen hundred dollars ($1500.00) or less.
   The Chief of Police, within his territorial jurisidiction, shall order any abandoned junk motor vehicle to be photographed by a law enforcement officer. The officer shall record the make of motor vehicle, the serial number when available, and shall also detail the damage or missing equipment to substantiate the value provided in (e) hereof. The Chief shall thereupon immediately dispose of the abandoned junk motor vehicle to a junkyard or scrap metal processing facility as defined in Chapter 739 of the Codified Ordinances, or to any other facility owned by or under contract with the City for disposal of such motor vehicles. The records and photograph relating to the abandoned junk motor vehicle shall be retained by the law enforcement agency ordering the disposition of such vehicle for a period of at least two years. The law enforcement agency shall execute in quadruplicate an affidavit, as prescribed by the registrar of motor vehicles, describing the motor vehicle and the manner in which it was disposed of, and that all requirements of this section have been complied with, and shall sign and file the same with the Clerk of Courts of the County in which the motor vehicle was abandoned. The Clerk of Courts shall retain the original of the affidavit for his files, shall furnish one copy thereof the registrar, one copy to the junkyard or other facility handling the disposal of the vehicle, and one copy to the law enforcement agency ordering the disposal, who shall file such copy with the records and photograph relating to the disposal. Any moneys arising from the disposal of an abandoned junk motor vehicle shall be deposited in the General Fund.
(Ord. 95-31. Passed 1-31-95.)
   Notwithstanding Section 357.03, any motor vehicle meeting the requirements of subsections (c), (d) and (e) hereof which has remained unclaimed by the owner or lienholder for a period of ten days or longer following notification as provided in Section 357.03 may be disposed of as provided in this section.
(Ord. 98-1974. Passed 12-9-74.)