Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) The owner of any structure that has become vacant as defined in Section 1380.03 "Definitions" within thirty days after the structure first becomes vacant, within thirty days of receiving notice that a structure is vacant, or within thirty days after the effective date of this chapter, whichever is later, shall file a "Vacant Property Registration Form", as prescribed by the City Manager. The "Vacant Property Registration Form" shall be filed with the applicable fee for each such structure with the Director or his or her designee.
(b) The registration statement shall remain valid for one year from the date of registration. The registering party shall be required to annually renew the registration as long as the structure remains vacant and shall pay an annual registration fee of one hundred dollars ($100.00) for each residential structure. The registering party shall not be entitled to a refund of all or any part of the registration fee should the structure no longer be deemed vacant during the annual registration period.
(c) The owner shall notify the Director or his or her designee within twenty days of any change in the registration information by filing an "Amended Vacant Property Registration Form", also prescribed by the City Manager. There shall be no fee for filing an "Amended Vacant Property Registration Form". The "Vacant" or "Amended Property Registration Form" shall be deemed prima facie proof of the statements therein contained in any administrative enforcement proceeding or court proceeding instituted by the City against the owner of the structure. An owner shall be liable under this section for failing to register a vacant structure, paying an appropriate annual registration fee, or timely updating any change in registration.
(d) In addition to other information required by the Director, the City Manager shall prescribe a "Vacant Property Registration Form". The form shall require the disclosure of the following information, if known:
(1) The street address of the property,
(2) Permanent parcel number assigned by the County Auditor,
(3) The date upon which the property became vacant (if known to the owner),
(4) The case name and case number of any foreclosure proceeding with respect to the property,
(5) The case name and case number of any bankruptcy proceeding with respect to the property,
(6) Name and telephone number of a person twenty-one years of age or older, designated by the owner as the authorized agent for receiving notices of code violations and for receiving process in any court proceeding or administrative enforcement proceeding on behalf of such owner in connection with the enforcement of this chapter. This person must maintain an office in Ohio, or must actually reside within Clark County, Ohio. An owner who meets the requirements of this subsection as to location of residence or office may designate him- or herself as agent. By designating an authorized agent under the provisions of this subsection the owner is consenting to receive any and all notices of code violations concerning the registered building and all process in any court proceeding or administrative enforcement proceeding brought to enforce code provisions concerning the registered structure by service of the notice or process on the authorized agent. Any owner who has designated an authorized agent under the provisions of this subsection shall be deemed to consent to the continuation of the agent's designation for the purposes of this subsection until the owner notifies the Director or his or her designee in writing of a change of authorized agent or until the owner files a new annual registration statement and/or amendment. An owner shall be liable under this section for failing to register an authorized agent.
(7) Such other information as the Director may reasonably require.
(e) The owner of any vacant structure shall cause an initial physical inspection of the structure to be made and secure the structure in accordance with this chapter. An owner shall be liable under this section for failing to inspect the property or structure or for failing to maintain the inspection reports as required by this section.
(f) Any owner who fails to register a vacant structure under the provisions of this section shall further be deemed to consent to receive, by posting at the structure, any and all notices of code violations and all process in an administrative proceeding brought to enforce code provisions concerning the structure and premises.
(g) The Director may issue rules and regulations for the administration of this section. These rules may designate board-up materials and methods which must be used when securing a structure beyond the standard provided so that the boarding is reasonably incapable of being removed by trespassers or others acting without the owner's consent.