Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. This title shall apply to:
1. Any subdivision as the same now is or hereafter may be defined in Government Code 66424 and any additions to, amendments of or successors to section 66424.
2. Any division of a parcel of real property or adjustment or the boundary line between two (2) or more parcels of property which is not defined as a subdivision under subsection A1 of this section. Divisions of land not requiring a tentative and a final map to be filed under Government Code section 66424 shall herein be referred to as "lot splits" where appropriate.
3. Subdivisions, as defined in subsection A1 of this section, Government Code section 66426(a), (b), (c) and (d) and any amendments or successors of such sections; provided, however, that the regulations of this title applicable to parcel maps shall apply to such divisions.
4. Where a parcel of land was shown as separate parcels, each and every one of which was a gross area of forty (40) acres or more or each of which was a quarter section or larger, on a record of survey complying with the provisions of the Land Surveyor's Act, Business and Professions Code section 8700 et seq. recorded in the office of the county recorder before March 20, 1972, and the size of such separate parcels conformed to the zoning regulations applicable to the land on the date of such recording, no lot split or subdivision shall be required to establish such parcels as separate and valid parcels.
5. Where a lot or parcel of land was divided by a record of survey complying with the provisions of the Land Surveyor's Act, Business and Professions Code section 8700 et seq. or deed or contract of sale recorded in the office of the county recorder prior to July 27, 1955, or by filing of a subdivision map or lot split plat or parcel map in the office of the county recorder, or by a lease made prior to July 27, 1955, which lot or parcel conformed to all subdivision and zoning ordinance requirements when created, no lot split or subdivision shall be required to establish such lot or parcel as a separate and valid lot or parcel pursuant to this title; provided, however, no such lot shall be considered to be an approved building site unless it conforms to the requirements of the applicable zoning ordinance when application for a building permit is made. When a record of survey was made, but was not accompanied or followed by a deed, or contract of sale recorded prior to July 27, 1955, or by a lease made prior to July 27, 1955, no exemption shall apply unless the lot or parcel conforms to the requirements of the applicable zoning district at the time application for a certificate of compliance is made.
6. Where the creation of a lot or parcel was exempted from the provisions of this title or its predecessor ordinances at the time that such lot or parcel was created, or where a lot or parcel was divided in conformity with this title or then applicable predecessor ordinance, no lot split or subdivision shall be required to establish such lot or parcel as a separate and valid lot or parcel pursuant to this title provided that for parcels divided by testamentary disposition, the division must have been accomplished by metes and bounds or surveyor's description and provided further that grants of easement or rights of way not consisting of a fee interest shall not be deemed to accomplish a division under such predecessor ordinances.
7. Where lots or parcels were divided or recombined in compliance with predecessor ordinances under circumstances not requiring the filing of a lot split plat or a tentative parcel map, a certificate of compliance may be issued for such divisions or recombinations notwithstanding that a later division or recombination occurred in compliance with predecessor ordinances, under circumstances not requiring the filing of a lot split plat or a tentative parcel map provided that the description of the parcel for which the certificate of compliance is sought is consistent with the property description of the most recent recorded deeds or records of survey describing or affecting the property. Where such conformity does not exist, a certificate of compliance shall be issued only for the latest division or recombination within the period during which a lot split plat or tentative parcel map was not required to accomplish the division or recombinations.
B. This title shall not apply to:
1. Leases which do not create separate building sites, nor to divisions defined in Government Code sections 66412.1(a) and (b) and any amendments or successors of such sections.
2. Any land dedicated for cemetery purposes under the Health And Safety Code, nor to the creation of probate homesteads pursuant to Probate Code section 60 or successor sections, nor to any separate assessment under Revenue and Taxation Code section 2188.7, nor to any division or conveyance of land for public utility purposes.
3. Any division of land for the purpose of conveyance to or from a public entity or governmental agency, unless a showing is made in individual cases, upon substantial evidence, that public policy necessitates a tentative map and parcel or final map, provided that a tentative map and parcel or final map shall be required to validate any remainder parcels remaining in private ownership following such conveyance. (Ord. 86-37, 4-17-1986)