Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Operation Authorized: Operation of motorized golf carts or four (4) wheel all-terrain vehicles are hereby authorized on the roadways of all streets, except such as are prohibited by resolution of the Council, and only in strict compliance with this section. For the purpose of this section, a four (4) wheel all-terrain vehicle is a motorized flotation-tired vehicle with four (4) low-pressure tires that is limited in engine displacement of less than eight hundred (800) cubic centimeters and total dry weight less than six hundred (600) pounds.
B. Permits: Permits shall be issued only to disabled persons as defined by statute. Application for a permit to operate a motorized golf cart or a four (4) wheel all-terrain vehicle on the roadways of streets shall include the name and address of the applicant and such other information as may from time to time be required by the Council. Applications for initial or renewal permits shall be accompanied by a certificate signed by a physician stating that the applicant is capable of safely operating a motorized golf cart or a four (4) wheel all-terrain vehicle on the roadway of streets. All permits shall expire on December 31, unless renewed. The fee for a permit shall be fixed by resolution of the Council.
C. Standards And Rules Of Operation: It is unlawful for any person to operate a motorized golf cart or a four (4) wheel all- terrain vehicle on the roadway of a street unless:
1. The operator has in possession a valid, current and unrevoked permit from the City.
2. The operation is on a roadway which has not been designated as prohibited for such operation, except crossing at an intersection.
3. The operation is during daylight hours between sunrise and sunset.
4. The operation is not during inclement weather, or when visibility is impaired by weather, smoke, fog, or other conditions, or when there is insufficient light to clearly see persons or vehicles thereon at a distance of five hundred feet (500').
5. The motorized golf cart or four (4) wheel all-terrain vehicle displays a slow-moving vehicle emblem, as described by statute, on the rear thereof.
6. The motorized golf cart or four (4) wheel all-terrain vehicle is equipped with rear view mirrors as required by statute for other vehicles.
7. The operator has insurance coverage as provided by statute (presently Minnesota Statutes section 65B.48, subdivision 5) for motorcycles.
8. The operator observes all traffic laws, except such as cannot reasonably be applied to motorized golf carts or four (4) wheel all-terrain vehicles. (1988 Code § 8.10; amd. 1996 Code)