A.   Authority To Amend: The town council from time to time may, on its own motion, or on petition, or on recommendation of the zoning board, amend, supplement or repeal the regulations and provisions of this title.
   B.   Report Of Proposed Amendment: Every such proposed amendment or change, whether initiated by the town council or by petition, shall be referred to the town clerk-treasurer and zoning board for report thereon before a public hearing.
   C.   Fix Time And Place Of Public Hearing: The town council, by resolution adopted at a stated meeting, shall fix the time and place of a public hearing on the proposed amendments.
   D.   Amendment Or Rezoning By Property Owner: An amendment or rezoning may be initiated by a petition of interested property owners or authorized agents of such owners for rezoning of any land to a less restricted district; provided, that the land is adjacent or directly across a street or alley from property which is proposed to be rezoned. (1993 Code § 17.08.070)