Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Establishment. There is hereby created and established the Urban Forestry Board of the City of Silverton, County of Hamilton, State of Ohio.
(B) Purposes; objectives. The primary purposes and objectives of the Urban Forestry Board shall include the following:
(1) The Board, when requested by City Council, shall consider, investigate, make findings, report and recommend upon any special matter or question regarding the street or park trees.
(2) To hold regular and special meetings at which the subject of trees, insofar as it relates to the municipality, may be discussed by the members of the Board, officers, personnel, and Council committees of the municipality and all others interested in the tree program.
(3) To disseminate news and information regarding the selection, planting and maintenance of trees within the corporate limits, whether the same be on private or public property.
(4) To establish the recommended species and varieties of trees to be planted in the boulevards.
(5) To implement an Arbor Day observance on an annual basis.
(6) To establish and maintain, on an annual basis, an inventory of city street trees.
(C) Membership; terms.
(1) The Board shall consist of five members; one shall be a member of Council. Additionally, the City Manager, or his or her designee, may serve as an ex-officio member of the Board.
(2) Members of the Board shall be appointed by City Council.
(3) The Chairperson of the Board shall preside over all meetings of the Board and act as parliamentarian. The Vice-Chairperson shall assume the duties of the Chairperson in his or her absence. The Secretary shall maintain a record of Board proceedings.
(4) Any monies raised by the Board shall be the property of the city.
(5) Appointments to the Board shall be for three-year terms, provided that the term for one of the members appointed to the first Board shall be for one year; one of the members appointed to the first Board shall be for two years; and two of the members appointed to the first Board shall be for three years. The Council representative shall serve for the balance of the respective Council term. In the event that a vacancy shall occur during the term of any member, his or her successor shall be appointed for the unexpired portion of said term.
(6) The Board members shall serve without compensation.
(7) Any Board member who misses three consecutive meetings or more than 50% of the regular meetings on an annual basis without the absences being excused shall be removed from the Urban Forestry Board.
(Ord. 06-3229, passed 10-19-06)
Tree maintenance, see Ch. 52