Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Whenever any of the following names or terms are used in this chapter, the California Residential Code or its appendices each such name or term shall be deemed and construed to have meaning ascribed to it in this section as follows:
A. "Association" means a nonprofit corporation or unincorporated association created for the purpose of managing a common interest development.
B. "Building Department" means the Building and Safety Division of the Community Development Department for the City of Signal Hill.
C. "Building Official" means the Building Official for the City of Signal Hill or his/her designee.
D. "City" means the City of Signal Hill.
E. "Common interest development" means any of the following:
1. A community apartment project.
2. A condominium project.
3. A planned development.
4. A stock cooperative.
F. "Electronic submittal" means the utilization of one or more of the following:
2. The Internet.
G. "Expedited permitting," and "expedited review," means the process outlined in Section 15.13.060 entitled "Expedited Permit Review and Inspection Requirements."
H. "Reasonable restrictions" on a solar energy system are those restrictions that do not significantly increase the cost of the system or significantly decrease its efficiency or specified performance, or that allow for an alternative system of comparable cost, efficiency, and energy conservation benefits.
I. "Restrictions that do not significantly increase the cost of the system or decrease its efficiency or specified performance" means:
1. For Water Heater Systems or Solar Swimming Pool Heating Systems: an amount exceeding ten percent of the cost of the system, but in no case more than one thousand dollars, or decreasing the efficiency of the solar energy system by an amount exceeding ten percent, as originally specified and proposed.
2. For Photovoltaic Systems: an amount not to exceed one thousand dollars over the system cost as originally specified and proposed, or a decrease in system efficiency of an amount exceeding ten percent as originally specified and proposed.
J. "Small residential rooftop solar energy system" means all of the following:
1. A solar energy system that is not larger than ten kilowatts alternating current nameplate rating or thirty kilowatts thermal.
2. A solar energy system that conforms to all applicable state fire, structural, electrical, and other building codes as adopted or amended by the city and paragraph (3) of subdivision (c) of Section 714 of the Civil Code as such section or subdivision may be amended, renumbered, or redesignated from time to time.
3. A solar energy system that is installed on a single or duplex family dwelling.
4. A solar panel or module array that does not exceed the maximum legal building height as defined by the authority having jurisdiction.
K. "Solar energy system" means either of the following:
1. Any solar collector or other solar energy device whose primary purpose is to provide for the collection, storage, and distribution of solar energy for space heating, space cooling, electric generation, or water heating.
2. Any structural design feature of a building whose primary purpose is to provide for the collection, storage, and distribution of solar energy for electricity generation, space heating, space cooling or water heating.
L. "Specific, adverse impact" means a significant, quantifiable, direct and unavoidable impact, based on objective, identified and written public health or safety standards, policies or conditions as they existed on the date the application was deemed complete.
(Ord. 2015-08-1476 § 1 (part))