Skip to code content (skip section selection)
For purpose of this chapter, the following definitions shall apply:
"City" means the city of Signal Hill, a municipal corporation organized under the laws of the State of California, and all of the territory lying within the municipal boundaries of the city as presently existing and all geographic areas which may be added or annexed thereto.
"City facility" means any building, park or other site owned, leased or used by the city.
"Collection" means the operation of gathering together and transporting refuse to the point of disposal.
"Commercial and industrial units" means the premises of a business that is not a city facility, single-family dwelling unit or multifamily dwelling unit.
"Commercial service" means any refuse service for which a person separately contracts with the contractor for commercial or industrial refuse collection and disposal services.
"Commingled recyclables" means the mixing of all recyclable materials accepted by the contractor in the recycling program in a single container for collection.
"Construction and demolition debris" means any combination of building materials and refuse resulting from construction, remodeling, repair, cleanup, or demolition operations as defined in California Code of Regulations, Title 22 Section 66261.3 et seq. This term includes, but is not limited to, asphalt, concrete, portland cement concrete, brick, lumber, gypsum wallboard, cardboard, and other associated packaging, roofing material, ceramic tile, carpeting, plastic pipe, and steel. The material may be commingled with rock, soil, tree stumps, and other vegetative matter resulting from land clearing and landscaping for construction or land development projects.
"Contract" means a contract for refuse collection and disposal entered into between the city and another person or entity.
"Contractor" means the person or entity entering into a contract with the city for the collection and disposal of refuse and commingled recyclables.
"County" means the county of Los Angeles.
"Disposal site" means a permitted solid waste facility, transfer station, material recovery facility or pre-processing facility, inclusive of any such facility owned or operated by contractor.
"Dumpsters" means metal contractor-provided containers used for the collection of refuse of a capacity exceeding ninety gallons and generally immovable by just one individual. The term includes bins and roll-off debris boxes.
"Hazardous waste" means any hazardous or toxic substance, infectious waste, or other material or waste which is or becomes regulated by any local governmental authority, the state of California, or the United States Government. The term "Hazardous Material" includes, without limitation, any material or substance which is:
1. Petroleum or oil or gas or any direct or derivate product or byproduct thereof;
2. Defined as a "hazardous waste," "extremely hazardous waste" or "restricted hazardous waste" under Sections 25115, 25117 or 25122.7, or listed pursuant to Section 25140, of the California Health and Safety Code, Division 20, Chapter 6.5 (Hazardous Waste Control Law);
3. Defined as a "hazardous substance" under Section 25316 of the California Health and Safety Code, Division 20, Chapter 6.8 (Carpenter-Presley-Tanner Hazardous Substance Account Act);
4. Defined as a "hazardous material," "hazardous substance," or "hazardous waste" under Sections 25501(j) and (k) and 25501.1 of the California Health and Safety Code, Division 20, Chapter 6.95 (Hazardous Materials Release Response Plans and Inventory);
5. Defined as a "hazardous substance" under Section 25281 of the California Health and Safety Code, Division 20, Chapter 6.7 (Underground Storage of Hazardous Substances);
6. "Used oil" as defined under Section 25250.1 of the California Health and Safety Code;
8. Listed under Chapter 11 of Division 4.5 of Title 22 of the California Code of Regulations, or defined as hazardous or extremely hazardous pursuant to Chapter 10 of Division 4.5 of Title 22 of the California Code of Regulations;
9. Defined as waste or a hazardous substance pursuant to the Porter-Cologne Act, Section 13050 of the California Water Code;
10. Designated as a "toxic pollutant" pursuant to the Federal Water Pollution Control Act, 33 U.S.C. Section 1317;
11. Defined as a "hazardous waste" pursuant to the Federal Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, 42 U.S.C. Section 6901, et seq. (42 U.S.C. § 6903);
12. Defined as a "hazardous substance" pursuant to the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act, 42 U.S.C. Section 9601, et seq. (42 U.S.C. § 9601);
13. Defined as "hazardous material" pursuant to the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act, 49 U.S.C. Section 5101, et seq.; or
14. Defined as such or regulated by any "Superfund" or "Superlien" law, or any other federal, state or local law, statute, ordinance, code, rule, regulation, order or decree regulating, relating to, or imposing liability or standards of conduct concerning Hazardous Materials and/or oil wells and/or underground storage tanks and/or pipelines, as now, or at any time hereafter, in effect.
"Household refuse container" means any automated, molded contractor-provided container of a size not to exceed 95 gallons (typically 65 gallons) with two or more wheels for easy carting by an individual.
"Infectious waste" means waste capable of producing an infection or pertaining to or characterized by the presence of pathogens. It includes but is not limited to certain wastes generated by medical practitioners, hospitals, nursing homes, medical testing labs, mortuaries, taxidermists, veterinarians, veterinary hospitals, medical testing labs, and any waste which includes animal wastes or parts from slaughterhouses or rendering plants.
"Materials recovery facility" means a transfer station which is designed to, and as a condition of its permit, shall, recover for reuse and recycling, at least fifteen percent of the total volume of material recovered by the facility as set forth in Public Resources Code Section 50000(a)(4).
"Multi-family" means a development of five or more residential units, including a condominium project, duplex, townhouse project, apartment house, or mobile home park, irrespective of whether residence therein is transient, temporary or permanent, such that all residential units dispose of municipal solid waste and/or recyclable materials in a communal dumpster(s) at centralized locations.
"Municipal solid waste" or "refuse" means all trash, garbage, rubbish, junk, debris, leavings and solid wastes which originates from normal household, business, commercial and industrial activity , and all solid waste generated at construction and demolition sites, and at treatment works for water and wastewater, which are collected and transported under the authorization of the city or are self-hauled by residents or contractors. Municipal solid waste or refuse does not include agricultural crop residues, sewage, infectious and hazardous wastes, mining waste, forestry wastes, ash from industrial boilers, furnaces and incinerators or any waste which is not permitted to be disposed of at a Class III landfill and which fall within the definition of "nonhazardous solid waste" set forth in Title 23, Chapter 15, Section 2523(a) of the California Code of Regulations as amended or designated Class II wastes.
“Organic waste” means “organic waste” as defined in Section 42649.8 of the California Public Resources Code.
“Organic waste generator” means “organic waste generator” as defined in Section 42649.8 of the California Public Resources Code.
"Recyclable materials containers" means automated recyclable materials carts suitable for home use which do not have a storage capacity in excess of sixty-five gallons.
"Recyclable materials" and "recycling" means, respectively:
1. Any product salvaged or collected for the purpose of reprocessing or remanufacturing including, but not limited to, glass, bottles, newsprint, cardboard, aluminum, cans, plastics or metal and
2. The process of collecting used products in the form of recyclable materials for the purpose of turning them into new products by reprocessing or remanufacturing them.
"Residential units" means any individual dwelling unit used for or designated as a single-family residential as either:
1. A stand-alone single family unit; or
2. A single unit in a multi-family unit complex.
"Scavenge" means to remove any refuse, including, but not limited to, recyclable materials, newsprint, corrugated cardboard, bottles or metal which are placed for collection purposes.
"Single-family" means premises used or designated for residential use and consisting of four or fewer residential units, such that each residential unit receives its own set of household refuse containers and individual curbside collection services therefor.
"Self-haul" means the act of hauling refuse, construction and demolition debris and/or recyclables to an approved disposal facility by the person or persons that produced such refuse, construction and demolition debris and/or recyclables.
(Ord. 2018-11-1503 §§ 1, 2: Ord. 2010-05-1415 § 2: Ord. 98-01-1229 §1: Ord. 90-11-1082 § 1 (part))