Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Residential Rates. All residential customers in the City shall be required to pay charges for solid waste removal services in accordance with the following rates:
(1) Regular alley and curb-side pick-up. Each dwelling unit, whether single, double or triple, shall pay, per single residential unit, for complete weekly collection of solid waste and recyclable materials twenty-two dollars and twenty-four cents ($22.24) per month for a ninety-five or sixty-five gallon container, or twenty-two dollars and seven cents ($22.07) for a thirty-five gallon container payable quarterly in advance.
(2) Bag service. In lieu of solid waste collection services described in (a)(1), users who generate small amounts of solid waste may buy the bag service provided by the City. Each residential bag customer shall be charged five dollars and seventy-eight cents ($5.78) per bag (($57.80) for a bundle of ten). This excludes recycling. An additional charge of five dollars and thirty-two cents ($5.32) per month will be charged for users on the bag service that opt in for recycling service utilizing a 65-gallon cart.
(3) Yard waste. Bags of yard waste or bundles of brush or containers of yard waste must have a yard waste sticker affixed to the bag, bundle or container in order to be picked up. Residential customers may purchase yard waste stickers for one dollar and ninety-seven cents ($1.97) each at the Revenue Collections Office. This fee applies to customers on the bag service only.
(4) Special pick-ups. When a residential customer requests that solid waste materials be picked up in excess of the limits established by this chapter, or at a time other than the regularly scheduled service, the residential customer shall be charged on a time and materials basis or at a price per item per the applicable rate schedule in the contract between the City and the waste hauler.
(5) Rate for peculiar circumstances. The City Manager or his designee is hereby authorized to negotiate a fair and equitable rate schedule for the peculiar solid waste services.
(6) Multiple-family residence owner option. The owner of a multi-family residence of four units or more shall select one of the following services: commercial dumpster service or commercial timed service.
(7) Charges for abandonment. Solid waste items that are placed at their appropriate collection point but are not in accordance with this chapter shall be deemed to be abandoned and shall be collected by the City of its designate and expenses incurred for the collection/disposal shall be billed to the property owner for recovery.
(8) Refunds. Charges for any partial month of service shall be billed as if service were provided for the entire month. Refunds of unused payments will be issued only for full months.
(9) Regulations relating to placement of containers, bags and yard waste.
A. The solid waste collected pursuant to this section shall be stored in containers provided by the City's solid waste collector, meeting the specifications of this chapter.
B. The use and placement of all containers (as referenced herein in division (a)(1) of this section), all bags (as referenced herein in division (a)(2) of this section), and all bags of yard waste or bundles of brush or containers of yard waste (as referenced herein in division (a)(3) of this section) shall be governed by the following:
1. All such containers, bags and bags of yard waste, bundles of brush or containers of yard waste shall be placed at the curb or alley, whichever the City deems appropriate, no earlier than 12:00 noon on the day before the scheduled pick-up, and no later than 7:00 a.m. on the day of the scheduled pick-up.
2. All containers shall be moved from the curb or alley pick-up site no later than 12:00 noon on the day after the scheduled pick-up.
3. Prior to placement of pick-up and after pick-up, all containers, bags, and bags of yard waste, bundles of brush or containers of yard waste; and after pick-up, all containers shall be stored in one of the following manners:
a. Enclosed within a structure where a two-car or greater garage is available at the premises being serviced;
b. Screened from view of the street at a location not less than the front set back line of the home situated at the premises being serviced; or,
c. Stored at a location not less than twenty-five feet from the front set back line of the home situated at the premises being serviced.
4. For alley pick-up prior to placement for pick-up and after pick-up, all containers, bags and bags of yard waste and bundles of brush or containers of yard waste shall be stored at a location outside of the public right-of-way.
5. No variations from the provisions set forth in divisions (a)(9)B.1., 2., and 3. of this section, shall be permitted, unless a specific exemption is granted by the City's Public Works Director based upon issues related to topography.
6. The Solid Waste Contract Administrator and/or the City's Code Enforcement Officer, or their designee(s) shall be responsible for the enforcement of the regulations set forth in this section.
7. The penalty for any violation of these regulations shall be as set forth in Section 917.99.
(b) Payment of Charges. Sanitation charges shall be billed quarterly, except for customers participating in the monthly payment program pursuant to division (c) of this section.
(c) A monthly payment program is available for residential customers and/or landlords who prefer such an arrangement for their tenants. In addition, the City may, at its discretion, assign customers to the monthly payment program, particularly for those customers who have been delinquent for two or more quarters over a two-year period. The Finance Officer shall provide a procedure to transfer quarterly customers onto a monthly payment program. Landlords shall notify the Finance Department, in writing, as to whether they elect to have their tenants assigned to the monthly payment program or to permit such tenants to determine their payment method, prior to establishment of an account with the City. If written notice is not received, it will be presumed that the landlord consents to the tenant’s preference. Customers on the monthly payment program will be billed monthly. Tenant- occupied properties participating in the monthly payment program must be secured by a utility service deposit, as defined in Section 911.01(h).
(d) Each bill is due within 30 days from the date of its mailing. This due date will be printed on the bill.
(e) If any sanitation charge billed by the City is not paid by the due date, a late payment penalty, in the amount of 5% of the unpaid amount, shall be added to the total owed by the customer.
(f) Service shall be discontinued if the bill remains unpaid ten days after its due date.
(Ord. A-2384. Passed 4-26-04; Ord. A-2477. Passed 4-24-06; Ord. A-2510. Passed 3-12-07; Ord. A-2512. Passed 4-9-07; Ord. A-2562. Passed 4-14-08; Ord. A-2599. Passed 3-23-09; Ord. A-2629. Passed 12-14-09; Ord. A-2638. Passed 2-22-10; Ord. A-2663. Passed 12-13-10; Ord. A-2704. Passed 12-12-11; Ord. A-2745. Passed 12-10-12; Ord. A-2777. Passed 12-9-13; Ord. A-2808. Passed 12-8-14; Ord. A-2821. Passed 5-11-15; Ord. A-2835. Passed 11-23-15; Ord. A-2870. Passed 7-25-16; Ord. A-2879. Passed 11-28-16; Ord. A-2909. Passed 11-27-17; Ord. A-2950. Passed 11-26-18; Ord. A-2985. Passed 11-25-19; Ord. A-3025. Passed 11-23-20.)