Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) No person shall make, continue or cause to be made or continued, any loud, unusual or unnecessary noises or any noise which either annoys, disturbs, injures or endangers the comfort, repose, health, peace or safety of others within the City.
(b) The following acts, among others, are declared to be loud, disturbing and unnecessary noises in violation of this section, but such enumerations shall not be deemed to be exclusive:
(1) Horns; signaling devices. The sounding of any horn or signaling device on any automobile, motorcycle or other vehicle, except as a danger warning; the creation by means of any such signaling devices on any unreasonable, loud or harsh sound, and the sounding of any such device for an unnecessary and unreasonable period of time; the use of any signaling device except one operated by hand or electricity; the use of any horn, whistle or other device operated by engine exhaust, and the use of any such signaling device when traffic is for any reason held up.
(2) Radios, phonographs, etc. The using or operating, or permitting to be played, used or operated, of any radio, musical instrument, phonograph or any other machine or device, or the producing or reproducing of sounds in such manner as to disturb the peace, quiet and comfort of the neighboring inhabitants, or at any time with louder volume than is necessary for convenient hearing of the persons who are in the room or vehicle in which such machine or device is operating.
(3) Yelling, shouting. Yelling, shouting, hooting, whistling or singing on the streets between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m., or at any time or place so as to annoy or disturb the quiet, comfort or repose of persons in any office or in any dwelling, hotel or other type of residence, or of any person in the vicinity.
(4) Animals; birds. The keeping or harboring of any domesticated or wild animals or fowl which, by causing frequent or long continued noise, shall disturb the comfort or repose of any person in the vicinity.
(5) Schools, courts, churches, hospitals. The creation of any excessive noise on any street adjacent to any school, institution of learning, church or court, while the same are in use, or adjacent to any hospital, which unreasonably interferes with the working of such institution, or which disturbs or unduly annoys patients in the hospital, provided conspicuous signs are displayed in such street indicating that the same is a school, court or hospital.
(6) Pile drivers, hammers, etc. The operating, between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m., of any pile driver, steam shovel, pneumatic hammer, derrick, steam or electric hoist or other appliance, the use of which is attended by loud or unusual noise. Should an emergency arise whereby it is necessary to operate this equipment during the hours other than set forth herein, application should be made to the City Manager for permission to do so and permission shall be granted, if it is deemed an emergency.
(Ord. A-479. Passed 6-20-60.)
(c) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.