Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) All owners or landlords of rental units, whether occupied or offered or advertised for rental, or rental units offered with an option for sale through seller-financed agreements without recorded title transfer (e.g., rent-to-own) within the city must register with the Department via a method or form prescribed by the Department. The registration form shall include the following:
(1) The name, telephone number, and a physical business or domicile address of the owner. A secondary address (not required to be physical) can be used for availability to the public;
(2) The name, telephone number and address of:
(a) A person residing in Indiana authorized to manage the rental unit; and
(b) A person who is authorized to act as agent for the owner for purposes of service of process and receiving and receipting for notices and demands, as provided in I.C. 32-31-3-18;
(3) An affirmation that the rental units, the real property of which the rental units are a part, and any other rental unit property owned or registered by the owner in the city, are not subject to any un-remediated citation of violation of the state and local codes and ordinances;
(4) An affirmation that there is not more than one delinquent payment of real property taxes, assessments, or penalties (other than those that are the subject of an ongoing appeal or bankruptcy proceedings) with respect to the property, or any other rental unit property owned or registered by the owner in Shelby County;
(5) A statement of the number of rental units on each separate parcel of real property covered by the registration.
(B) Beginning January 1, 2021, an owner or landlord of a rental unit must pay to the Department an initial registration fee of $5. Only one registration fee is required for all rental units in a rental unit community. If a rental unit is not part of a rental unit community, a separate registration fee must be paid for each separate parcel of real property on which a rental unit is located, unless they are all registered at the same time.
(C) In the event of a change of ownership, the new owner or landlord must, not later than 30 days after the change of ownership, pay the registration fee of $5 and provide updated registration information to the Department.
(D) Registrations must be renewed annually. The renewal fee may be up to $5, as determined by the Department.
(E) The owner or landlord must notify the Department within 30 days of any changes to registration information.
(Ord. 20-2890, passed 9-21-20)